Oops! Petrol into the diesel car

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife has put in petrol instead of diesel into the Citroen Picasso, nearly a full tank. What now :?: :cry:

Sponsored Links
You need to drain off what you can, then fill up completly with diesel, the small amount of petrol won't do any harm, hopefully, you hav'ent ran the petrol to the pump, otherwise you'll have to clean the pipes out.

masona,what libby lou lou has said is about spot on.You haven't said if you have got it home,or it's still at the filling station?Main thing is hopefully you have not run it?Petrol will very quickly damage the injection pump,as it relies on the lubricity of the oily diesel as it passes through.If you have run it,then petrol will be right up to the engine.Get some diesel in a can,change the fuel filter and prime it with diesel,having drained as much as poss from the pipes and tank.Then fill her up with diesel and hope it is ok.Run on light throttle,and expect to hear the odd knock until all traces of petrol are gone.
You will also need to dispose the contaminated petrol at a garage.If it's not too "diesely",you could use it a couple of gallons at a time in another vehicle.Preferably,one without a cat.

Thanks lads,

The petrol tank oops I mean the diesel tank :evil: hold 60 litres and 45 litres of petrol was put in, so 45 litres of petrol with 15 litres of diesel.
I understand you can have up to 25% of petrol in winter month(?)

My wife drove home from the petrol station and it just started jumping a bit just before the car got home.

Sponsored Links
Once you start the engine you start having the problems, almost instantly.

You will need to clean the whole tank out, all the pipes everything bascically fill it back up and hope for the best.

masona said:
Thanks lads,

The petrol tank oops I mean the diesel tank :evil: hold 60 litres and 45 litres of petrol was put in, so 45 litres of petrol with 15 litres of diesel.
I understand you can have up to 25% of petrol in winter month(?).

No,absolutely not.That was something to help prevent winter "waxing",years ago.The fuel you are buying at present will be "winter" diesel anyway,and needs no petrol or paraffin in it.Be aware that a injection pump for your car is around £800.Get the tank drained or you may feel a severe pain in the back pocket.

One of the motoring progs ran a test on this type of problem. They ran a diesel engine on a gallon of petrol. It ran erratic after a couple of miles but did keep going. The only adverse effect was that it knackered the exhaust system (sparks coming out the tail pipe)
They topped the tank up with diesel and after a while it was all back to normal.

Your solution is to drain it down and refill with diesel. It won't have done enough miles to damage it long term. Sell the old petrol to someone with a two-stroke bike rather than dump it.

They also did the reverse with 1 gallon of diesel in a petrol engine. It ran lumpy and smoky but worked fine. When the tank was refilled with pertrol it also recovered nicely. It even passed an MOT Cat test.

Time to put the cowboy garages out of business for replacing so many allegedly damaged parts.....

Ron Gamma said:
Time to put the cowboy garages out of business for replacing so many allegedly damaged parts.....
You really p*ss me off with your wildly-flung generalised comments about garages and cowboys.

If you take a diesel car to a mechanic and tell him you've run it on petrol, and ask him to fix it and to give a warranty on his work, then of course he'll replace components that your foolishness might have damaged.

The alternative would be to dismantle everything that might have been damaged, and write up a report on the findings so that you (the customer) can decide what to have replaced. I can't see many people wanting to pay for the labour to perform such an analysis.

Just an update,

I was lucky to get away with it :D :D :D , empty the fuel tank, flushed the fuel pipe and changed the fuel filter, put in diesel injector cleaner and topped up with petrol, no sorry diesel :evil:, my wife will not fill it up anymore, well for the time being.

I have also bought Fuelrite hoping to end the problem of misfuelling again(£2.50) from ebay,

fuelrite.jpg

Softus said:
Ron Gamma said:
You really p*ss me off with your wildly-flung generalised comments about garages and cowboy.

Well said Softus!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why is it that every milkman,painter and treefeller,seem to think they are able to do better on vehicles than a professional.There are of course "cowboys" in every trade,but just because the bill may be large,it doesn't mean a rip-off has happened. :mad: You are so much in the hands of a lap-top for diagnosis these days.

softus & yes2mud (and others affected)

I'm big enough to apologise in public if you feel maligned by the generalisation. Sorry.
I hope that you will also acknowledge that the automotive industry needs to clean up its customer service act considerably. From the manufacturers right through to independant repairers.

One of my vehicles is still under warranty so is maintained by a large japanese manufacturer's dealerships. I always top up the screen washer bottle before the service to see how they perform. They always put a sachet of screen wash in the glove box and try to charge me for it when I don't need it. One even left 1/2 litre of oil in the car "just in case it needed it" - they got it back 12 months later and I got the refund + interest.
How then are we supposed to believe garages when they start racking up the parts lists for repairs ?

Do I use an independant? yes - but it has taken me several years to find one I trust.

Do I DIY? too right - I study the manuals, check with sources such as DIYNOT and talk to other owners.
Why? Because I've seen a "high street" brake fitter with so called certificates for repairing cars using a steel hammer to refit the brake drums. I'd like to see the warranty on that one when it lets loose at 70 on the motorway.

Ron Gamma said:
I'm big enough to apologise in public if you feel maligned by the generalisation. Sorry.
Nice gesture, but this is what's called an equivocal apology, and I wasn't maligned anyway.

Well softus,I thought you felt maligned,you were p***ed off anyway.
Ron Gamma,thanks,apology accepted. And YES,I do think the motor trade has a lot to do to improve it's service.But,the lads on the shopfloor are bound by company policy.(the screenwash scam being one of many).
Most of the fitters of my aquaintence do a good job and dislike the reputation foisted on them by the bad apples. :)

Sponsored Links
Back