Petrol in diesel car

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sister has a 57 plate diesel renault Modus and she fooolishly put £20 of unleaded in today. The car has been driven for about a mile with the petrol in it. She's had a couple of quotes of £220 and £245 to drain it and put some diesel in.
Is it a job that i could do on the roadside, simply undoing the two jubilee clips at the mouth of the tank, draining as much petrol as possible, filling with diesel and starting up? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Nicksun.

Sponsored Links
Collect in a polypropylene container, decant into a bigger one with a lid and then take it to a waste station as suggested by the council.

Mechanic and builder eh. is there no end to your talents? :D

Nicksun.

Go to halfords and buy a cheap screen washer pump and some 5mm hose. Feed hose down into said tank, Bit of wire from the main battery and Bob's your Uncle -you can pump it over to another car or to a container.

This is what I did -worked a treat.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply but my concern is whether there is anything else that will need doing, such as cleaning the injectors etc..

No but how much diesel was in the tank??
Till it runs the other issue is it may have increased the wear on the Diesel components Pump injectors ETC, Due to the additional lubrication properties diesel has other petrol
that distance and hopefully dilution no adverse effects will be noted

Another access point may be under the rear seat rather the draining by other means

An update. I was lucky to get a hose into the tank as there was no anti-syphon device installed, drained as much as i could (approx 25litres), put 12 litres of diesel in the tank, started it up and drove to the "diesel" garage and filled it to the brim.
There was some "knock" initially on starting, which cleared after approx. 2 minutes. I also added a bottle of fuel system cleaner, so hopefully this will give it a good clean.
I appreciate that some damage could have been done to the fuel pump, but only time will tell.
OTOH i did exactly as the garage said they'd do and saved my sister over £200.

Thanks for your help.

Nicksun.

I doubt you have done any lasting damage, you appear to have acted quickly and decisively.
It happened to me with my first ever diesel car, easily done.

Wotan

Thought all cars now had thin or wide filling entrance.

I would have thought near impossible on a 57 plate.

Thought all cars now had thin or wide filling entrance.

I would have thought near impossible on a 57 plate.
A petrol nozzle, being smaller will easily fit into a diesel filler aperture, which is larger.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
Back