Oops! Petrol into the diesel car

I have an excellent independent garage with a brilliant mechanic. When I go there I always go to the machanic rather than the boss. I trust the mechanic completely, but the stories he tells me about what his boss charges for makes him cringe. Blame the bosses not the workers for any excessive charges

Sponsored Links
But the normal reported treatment ,after what ocurred to the Picasso ,by a main dealer, would be to replace the main components of the fuel system.
Whether that is necessary, time will tell, perhaps each case is different as to the quality of the material used.
As for dealers being 'less than honest' how about all these Ford TDCI engines having 'water in the fuel' when their diesel injection system packs up.
Odd how this 'water' never seems to get into the petrol tanks. ;) Also I ran a diesel van(not common rail) for 170K miles and in all that time I never drained a drop of water out of the fuel filter- even though I opened it each service, and replaced as necessary.
It is reports like this that make us mere mortals expect to be fobbed/ripped off by the 'motor trade'. :mad:

Out of interest, does diesel float on top of petrol being an oil base, the other way round or dilute altogether?

Sponsored Links
Stivino said:
It mixes.

That's about right Stivino,the fuel running into the tank(whichever way you wrong fuel it) mixes it up into a unusable in anything fuel. If you put some into a glass container,and let it stand,it will eventually stratify with the diesel at the bottom. These days the SG of diesel is only around 0.835 compared to petrol around 0.740.This takes a while to separate unlike what you see if you get water in your sump. :)

Back