Petrol in a Diesel Engine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday I stupidly put 5.5ltr unleaded petrol in my girlfriend's diesel car from almost empty, but then immediate topped it up with 23ltr standard diesel (to 3/4 full). We then drove 120mi with few problems - just a cough on start after a brief stop. She then drove 60mi today & complained it struggled to start after a brief stop.

I've just driven it locally & filled to almost full with 14ltr premium grade nitro diesel & the engine sounds much better. The tank hasn't gone below half since my mishap.

Her car is a 2001 Skoda Fabia 1.9 TDI with 122k on the clock.. I can't afford to have the tank drained or filter replaced at the moment so did what I thought was the next best thing.

Please advise if I did the right or wrong thing & if there's anything else I can do.

And advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Matt

Sponsored Links
This is more common than you would imagine, Matt! You've done the right thing by diluting the petrol as much as you could, so seriously I'd forget all about it......just top up again with diesel.
Fact: Petrol doesn't lubricate the fuel pump to the same degree as diesel but there will be little harm done, if any - its also too late to change the filter as that just removes tiny solid particles.
John :)

I remember speaking to someone who bought 1ltr engine oil and put that in when he'd realised. He thought it would help balance it out, which I can't disagree with.

I guess thats not a bad idea, but I've not heard of it......maybe the accursed DPF wouldn't appreciate it though - who knows?
I see there are breakdown firms around that deal solely with this problem......maybe its time for geometric shaped filling nozzles :p

Sponsored Links
In cold countries, they put some petrol in their diesel tank to prevent it waxing up - whether this buggers up the seals/injectors I couldn't say - but it doesn't do the actual mechanics of the engine any harm

Nozzle

Indeed, in the days of the IDI motor it was actually recommended - albeit not really necessary!
However these days the specified engine oil for a car takes into account whether the car has a DPF fitted or not, which would indicate that even the tiniest particulates are dangerous to the DPF......also the electronic injection relies on correct lubrication to keep the injectors happy.
I'm sure the recovery people wouldn't take any of this into account - just get the engine started again!

I've done pretty much the same thing and after a couple of tanks of diesel it was pretty much back to normal.

I don't think a 2001 Skoda TDI has a DPF as such. My 2003 Golf doesnt.

I added three gallons of diesel to my petrol BMW some years back. I had to be somewhere a long way off urgently and so just filled the tank to the brim with petrol and drove off hoping for the best.
Apart from laying a very impressive smoke trail (easing off every time I saw a cop car) it got me there although when it was left to cool it was a pig to start. No fancy electronics on the old BMW though,I doubt I'd be so lucky now.

I remember speaking to someone who bought 1ltr engine oil and put that in when he'd realised. He thought it would help balance it out, which I can't disagree with.

Just last weekend a friend mentioned putting engine oil into the tank!

Tony

Quite a few people on other fora that I hang out on absolutely swear by putting a bit of 2-stroke oil in the fuel tank of diesel cars. Never tried it myself but it appears to have no downside and some actually claim it is beneficial.

Hi

Just a long overdue courtesy reply to let everyone know that the car's been running fine since taking the steps I did. Thank you all for your advice and reassurance!

Cheers

Matt

Sponsored Links
Back