Unleaded in a diesel car!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone console me with any good news...

I put £20 unleaded in my diesel car, it was very low with diesel in the first place. I have probably driven 1-2 miles (about 20 mins) before i realised.

What can i expect from my car after it has been drained and filled with the right fuel?

I feel like crap at the moment!

Sponsored Links
A most regular occurrence.....!
Chances are, you'll be fine - I've had this a few times (Peugeot 407, Seat Altea, Renault Clio, Ford Galaxy) and none of them have had any problems after draining the fuel, changing the filter and starting up again.
John :)

The AA do a roadside draining service (or did I think) don't think you have to be a member either. Might be worth a shout

The correct way, as has been said, is to drain, refill and swap filters. I'd be very surprised if you've suffered any damage whatsoever, to be honest.

£20 isn't much, depending on the size of the tank. If it were my car, and I could get a tube down the filler neck, I'd probably just syphon as much as I could out of it, then fill to the brim with diesel and forget about the rest. In very cold countries, they sometimes chuck up to a gallon of petrol into a full tank of diesel to help prevent the diesel from freezing. It doesn't seem to do any harm.

Sponsored Links
from experience i recomend just filling to the brim with the oily stuf and drive with a light foot to the next fill up. my bro did the same and is still running no probs two years later.

Definitely drain and refill.

Any modern (6-8 years) diesel relies on the lubricity of diesel to prevent the high pressure pump swarfing up and clogging the equally high pressure (and equally expensive) injectors.

Back