I put Petrol in a diesel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yep,i know,but it happened.
I put 5 litres of unleaded in my Toyota Estima diesel.
Realised mistake as i put knozzle in the keeper.
Chucked in 20 quid of diesel and drove home.
Any ideas on how to proceed with rectification?
It's 4wd 2.2 tdiesel.Alloy head.
Was thinking of filling her right up and running her but thought that draining would be a better job but i've now got half a tank of fuel.
Bobaa :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Prog on tv the other week. they done that ...they said drain & fill it properly..all cars were ok..but they were old

Does the petrol sit at the top or the bottom was wandering if i had to drain whole tank?
Cheers Daz

Well i reckon i'm gonna just fill the tank right up,run a quarter of the way downthen fill it up again etc.
I've read some people put 25% petrol in winter to stop diesel freezing.

Sponsored Links
Just fill up with Diesel and don't worry about it, it will be fine. Back in the 70's it was the recommended practice to put a gallon of petrol into a tank of diesel to stop it waxing at low temps.

Regards - JB

I was watching top gear the other day ( repeats ) and they done a test regarding putting petrol in a D car, all they done was fill up the tank with diesel and drove it for a few miles and it was ok, they even said it was a bit quicker, :LOL:

I've not done it myself, but my Dad has done it a couple of times with his Essie van, just fill up with diesel and it's normally ok if you have only put a small amount of petrol in.

at the pump, can you dispense so much petrol, then so much diesel, then pay? or do you have to pay for the petrol first, then start with diesel?

Pay for one then pay for the other (or at least that is the case if you start filling up with BP Extreme Unleaded, notice the extreme cost, and then choose to use normal stuff instead (especially when they first brought it out and hid the prices, except on the on-pump display). And then they compund your annoyance by making you pay for the first lot, go back and fill your car up, and then reveal that they can only accept one payment per card per day, forcing you to have to phone your wife up to bring her card out to pay for your tankful :evil: :evil: )

Petrol in a diesel can be bad news - in a HDi anyhow. The diesel lubricates the high pressure pump - petrol cleans it and can cause it to seize.

Adding the diesel has probably saved you.

G

johnny_t said:
...and then reveal that they can only accept one payment per card per day, forcing you to...
Oh boy, I would just love someone to say that to me after I'd filled up with petrol! :)

Why didn't you get an invoice then drive home and post them a cheque?

lol, i often put unleaded in my diesel, usually about a 5 n then realise.....and top up with the expensive stuff to the brim. in fact it s funny now as my accountant said well its cheaper that way.hehehe.

oh n i just say to the attendant srry mate but i thought i d mix it up a bit , the bill goes on 1 receipt.

the van runs fine , like a dream 190 000 miles ford,

wouldnt want to make that mistake in the car though or the bike. :)

what if when we was filling up with "Diesel or petrol"

just bear with me..

you took the nozzle from the pump,and a voice operated message "says"

you are putting diesel into this vehicle

or

you are putting petrol into this vehicle

Just a thought..anybody for dragons den....i'll take 10%..i'm not greedy.

Great idea from vokera80e,this would not take a lot of doing and cut down on the reported 200,000 a year wrong fuel incidents.
I was out for a weekend in the eighties,and had a borrowed car from work,an early Golf diesel.When I went to fill up at a north wales garage,the alert attendant called over a tannoy to warn me I was about to put in diesel.
This was ok as it was a diesel,but I would have been very greatful for the warning if I was about to wrong fuel it.Geoff

Sponsored Links
Back