Oh noooooooo!

2scoops0406

My wife (honestly) has just put unleaded fuel into our 4x4, which unfortunately takes diesel :evil: She only realised the mistake when the car started shuddering and smoking excessively out of the back. Now obviously I realise that the car has to be taken to the garage, unleaded shiponed out, and probably flushed through with diesel. But does anyone know what damage may have been done the the engine. If it is relevant, the car is a 2002 Toyota Landcruiser, only cost £45K now possibly worth £0.45 :cry: :evil: :cry: :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil: Bad wife.

Sponsored Links
Don't be too hard on her eddie.

I believe it is one of the most common call outs for the motoring clubs.

It is usually a case of draining the tank and replacing any fuel filters, there are not usually any long term problems.

Although it is not done these days with modern fuels, people used to put a small ammount of petrol in the diesel tank to stop waxing in the winter.

The problem is much worse it you put diesel in a petrol.

My ex did this roughly twice a year: I would get a phonecall, "can you come and pick me up from the garage, and bring a tow-rope please?" :LOL:

Her dad, being a mechanic, would just empy the tank and pipework, add diesel and repressurise. As david says, people used to put a small bit of petrol in diesel. It helps starting in cold weather.

Despite repeated instances of this, the engine still ran perfectly at 80K.

It is definitely a garage job though, the fuel lines need to be repressurised after the tank is emptied.

I have to ask, did she fill it up or was it just a £10 go? I'm just thinking, there must be £60 of fuel in a Landcruiser!

Well, I think we may be ok, 'cos fortunately it was a splash 'n' dash job (£15 of unleaded) £60.00 fill up would be lovely, a full tank is 110 litres approx £90 :cry: The car has been towed, and is now being nursed back to health. I did a bit of research, and yes I think what you've said tallies with what I've found out in that as long as you don't drive for too long, something which is difficult with an engine pinking like h*ll a drain, flush, new filters and re-pressurisaton should sort it out .... Phew ! I may just buy her some flowers for our 10th wedding anniversary tomorrow now!

Sponsored Links
Sorry, very rude of me, thanks for the replies guys, a little light has crept back into my life. :D (although I haven't heard from the garage yet!)

Eddie...1 maybe 2 hours if their slow! plus the filters.

All sorted, £160. I took them all day to find a pick up truck big enough! I neglected to say it's an auto, so it can't be towed!

Off the top of your head, any idea how much one of those big bu**ers weighs? I'm thinking 3 tonnes or more.

I'm guessing that's the Land Cruiser Amazon then!

I've just read on the Chevrolet website, the Suburban (an SUV) is pretty much 4 tonnes... ouch! Equipped with an 8.1 litre petrol engine, two valves per cylinder, only revs to 5000rpm.

8.1 litres! that's plain silly, 4.2 is bad enough (4.7 for the petrol version, but you have to be absolutely mad to buy that)

Even heavier: the Hummer H1 has a GVW of, weight for it, 4700 kg!

Nearly 5 tonnes! According to some irate types on the web, this means it isn't required to comply with certain emissions regs in the states.

The fuel tank is 42 US gallons (smaller than gallons), which equates to 160 litres. So, at 82p per litre, that is about £130 to fill up. :eek:

Yet I have still seen someone driving an H1 round here.

aren't they 7 feet wide as well! totally impratical not like a Landcruiser of course you understand.

Eddie M said:
If it is relevant, the car is a 2002 Toyota Landcruiser, only cost £45K now possibly worth £0.45
Eddie, I may be able to help you out here. I'll give you a tenner for it :LOL:

Sorry TexMex, it's full of diesel again! So it's worth at least £90 now

Sponsored Links
Back