Oh noooooooo!

AdamW said:
The fuel tank is 42 US gallons

I just had a thought. A mate of mine has a Clio dCi (1.5l new-fangled diesel). We went to Wales and back, despite the windy mountain/valley roads and carrying lots of gumph, it still averaged 65mpg.

So, converting those 42 US gallons into OG (Original Gallons) we get 35 UK gallons of whirling "derv"ishness.

35 gallons x 65mpg = 2275 miles in a tank! :eek: Obviously that is assuming the extra 125 litres of diesel weigh nothing :LOL:

Still, I envy him. I get 320-340 miles out of a 45 litre tank of petrol in my Astra (400 miles if it is 100% motorways at 70mph), he gets over 500 miles out of his 35 litre tank no matter what he does.

Something worth doing with a fuel-hungry vehicle is reading the manual. I did this with mine, and read that for optimum economy I should keep the engine between 2K and 3K. I started doing this (using 3rd instead of 4th in 30 zones, 4th instead of 5th in 40 zones) and my fuel economy improved. It's not so quiet (you can't actually hear the engine if you keep it below 2K, passengers have accused me of turning the engine off at traffic lights in the past :LOL: ) but hey, I'm saving trees!

Sponsored Links
Fuel ecomony, what's that then...... probably not putting f**king unleaded in a diesel car in my wife's case :LOL:

The gross vehicle weight GVW or GVM is the maximum(plated) permissible weight of the vehicle when laden.

The unladen weight is called the kerbside weight.

The difference between the 2 is the weight it can carry (people,fuel any load etc). If you take a 4x4 weighing say 2.4 tonnes unladen and plated 3.5tonnes it can carry 1.1 tonnes.

The other weigh on your plate is the train weight GTW. This is the weight of the car plus any trailer. So if you have 3.5 GVW and say 5 tonnes GTW you can tow 1.5 tonnes, if a trailer weighed 1/2 tonne it can carry 1 ton.

If you go over 3.5 tonnes GVW the speed limits can change.

The reason you struggled with the transporter is because a normal 7.5 tonnes recovery truck can only carry just over 2 tonnes. They would have to use a larger truck to avoid overloading. Larger truck means HGV licence and dearer wages for the driver, so they don't have as many of them.

Adam.....there is an hummer limo drives around M/cr, it looks like a coach!

david and julie said:
The gross vehicle weight GVW or GVM is the maximum(plated) permissible weight of the vehicle when laden.

I do realise that, but Eddie quoted his GVW so I continued the trend. :D

If I recall the GVW of my Astra is about 1700kg. The kerbweight is 1200kg. Now, that might seem OK, half a tonne. However, I weigh about 105kg, most of my male friends are similar weights. So, if I have 5 people in the car, it is probably over its GVW! More so if there is stuff in the boot. A mate of mine has a 206, and it bottomed out on a speed hump with 5 in it!

Sponsored Links
Just did an interesting comparison. You know how cars are getting bigger and heavier each year at the moment?

1987 Vauxhall Nova: kerbweight 738kg
2004 Vauxhall Corsa: kerbweight 1105kg :eek:

However, despite the Corsa being so much heavier than the old Nova:

1987 Nova: boot capacity 226 litres
2004 Corsa: 260 litres

Also, the current Corsa is only a few inches shorter than the original Astra, and is narrower by... 1 centimetre!!!

Post me the cheque, and she's all yours

The car that is, not the wife, you can have her for a tenner (but then the maintenence costs of a landcruiser are not comparable, the wife's much more expensive) :LOL:

B*gger me, you drive a hard bargain!

OK then, £5.00 for each of the kids.

£125.00 my final offer sur la table.

5 kids plus one on the way, 2 wives, and a landcruiser, I think you're gonna need that mortgage after all :LOL:

(Cradles head in hands) I think you're right........

Still, look on the bright side - who needs money? 'Tis the root of all evil...!

Oh, well, to resurrect an old post, maybe we didn't get away with it, the fuel pump's failed prematurely £1500.00 to fix, happy New year all :( :cry:

Sponsored Links
Back