Open fire with a flue system possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

We're in a bit of a dilemma, we're mid loft conversion, the roof is half tiled and we've been possibly looking at installing a log burner while what will be upstairs was a blank canvas... it would increase the size of the bedrooms too as we would remove the humongous chimney through what will be the upstairs...

Problem is... after doing the sums, we cant really afford to do it all, but with the house in bits its probably the best time to do it, as the roof will be completed next week so I dont really want to get up on the roof again and the mess would be dire once the upstairs is finished..

I struck on the idea of installing the flue through the roof and bedrooms so the loft conversion can be finished and we'd gain the larger rooms, we could then install the log burner at a later date...

But we would really like to continue to use the open fire through the winter... is it possible to use a double lined flue system with a conventional open fire?

Anyone know or done this?

Sponsored Links
Fantastic! I'd been searching everywhere but never came across that!

So a gather needed then I can run it into the flue system.

Time to get the chimney down, thats really cool, we can keep the fire and still gain the extra room upstairs.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Fantastic! I'd been searching everywhere but never came across that!

So a gather needed then I can run it into the flue system.

Time to get the chimney down, thats really cool, we can keep the fire and still gain the extra room upstairs.

Thank you.

Yes, but to ensure your insurance is still valid it has to be signed off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back