open fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a house with an open fire, i've just had the chimney swept and the man told me the fireplace hasn't been filled in behind the back so it could crack. He said it should be filled with cement and lime and it can be poured down the back. i can do a bit of dit but would appreciate some advice on this please.

Sponsored Links
Can you post some pics.. It sounds like someone has fitted a surround & fireback that is only suitable for an electric fire or were you told it was ok for solid fuel?

no, it's been used as an open fire before and I'm sure if that was the case the chimney sweep would have told me.

so do you mean behind the clay fire cheeks needs filling? Could do with some pics really.

Sponsored Links
ok, just uploaded a photo to my album. don't know how you see it though

just googled fire cheeks, i think it's behind the actual fire place back that needs filling?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back