Open plan kitchen/diner/living room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I live in an upper floor (purpose built) maisonette. In the back half of the property we originally had a bedroom at the back, separated from stairs down to garden, then the kitchen, then the dining room.

We took down the wall between kitchen and dining room, and were thinking of putting an ensuite for the bedroom in, by taking a bit of the newly opened up kitchen diner.

However, when we took down the final bedroom wall, we really liked the large open space.

We've tried a load of layouts, but this is the one we liked most:

To give you an idea, the total length is just over 11 metres, and the kitchen island is 1.8m long by 1m wide. Couches are 2m long, and table is 2m long.

Ideas/suggestions welcome.

EDIT - Just to add, we've not 'lost' a room by taking out the bedroom, as the front living room would become a bedroom.

EDIT 2 - Ideally the kitchen would be a little closer (say 50cm) to the living room end, but because of the way the property comes in 50cm, for some odd reason, it makes it a little tricky to do

Sponsored Links
is the fireplace in the "dining area" functional?

each to their own taste I suppose, but I'd rather swap the kitchen and dining area round..
it means you can have a bigger counter area without the need for an island..

in the current configuration, the extra 50cm could be attained by installing a length of counter behind where the sofa is at the moment..
if you've seen scrubs at all on tv, then something like "JD and Turk's" apartment in that..

Thanks for the input.

The fireplace is currently blocked up, and we didn't plan to open it up, as it would be very close to the table.

Only trouble with swapping kitchen/dining area is that the windows are only 70cm of the floor, and I don't like it when units cut off windows. That would leave the outer wall, which has a chimney breast on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back