open plan stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

After some more advice if possible. my spare bedroom has two doorways, one from the main landing in, and at the opposite side of the room another doorway that leads to a small landing and a staircase that goes downstairs (this is my properties second staircase, it goes from the spare room to the dining room downstairs, it doesn't access any other rooms). The wall that divides the spare room from the top of the stairs is a single brick thick wall. I would like to remove this wall so that the spare room/stairs are open plan. The wall is in very poor condition (sagging etc) I had a strucutral engineer around a while ago on a unrelated matter, and i mentioned it to him. he had a quick look and he said he was 99% sure it wasn't load bearing, but if I did want to remove it at a later date to get it double checked more thoroughly, and to check building regs regarding fire. If i remove this wall would I be in breach of building regs due to fire safety? Like I mentioned, the spare room has another exit onto the main landing, that leads to the main set of stairs (which could be used as an exit in the case of a fire) and the bedrooms window is very large and can be opened fully, so could also be used as an emergencey escape. Not sure if this is relevent, but thought i would mention it.

Anyone have any experience and able to offer advice? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Probably OK to open up the stairs though you will need to retain or fit a door to separate your dinning room and this one. Assuming there is a door at present that is.

Post a rough sketch of your layout up and downstairs and we can give a more definitive answer.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yeah, the door that seperate the stairs from the living room would be retained, just the wall + door upstairs would be removed. If the structural engineer confirms that it isn't a load bearing wall, do you know if the work will need the BCO out or not?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back