Open staircase

PE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi new house we are in has an open tread staircase (no risers).
Problem is if we fit solid risers we would lose a lot of light in the hallway from a large feature window halfway up stairs/half landing.

What can we do to make stairs safer for littlun without losing too much light in an already dark hallway?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo pe and welcome :LOL: ;)

the only solutions i can think off appart from pieces of wood which may remove to much light is wrought iron steel or other metal bars or rods possibly chrome finnish horizontaly mid rise
all dependant on how the stairs are finnished ect

and just for the record on new builds regulations require a sphere 100mm accross[a childs headsize] shouldnt pass through any part of the stair or bannister

Thanks for the welcome and reply! This is a mine of info this site!

Just to confirm the new build regs - if we had the staircase replaced in due course would that then have to comply with these new regs then or is it just for new-build houses?

Thanks for the suggestion - may look into decorative style "bar" horizontally

the regs apply to rebuilds as well but not minor repairs

Sponsored Links
Hi PE

can you clarify if your 'new' house is

a) new build in past couple of years
or
b) an older house but new to you

if its a new build house it shouldnt have open risers anyway (gaps sould be less than 100mm)

you could fix a mesh (wire/timber slats) which would allow light through but stop you putting your foot through

I did my own loft conversion in 1987 and built the open staircase myself. When I put the plans in, they were sent back because the treads were more than 100mm wide. I redrew showing 12mm iron bars fitted centrally between the treads. That was acceptable. As it happened, the easy-going inspector made his last visit before I'd got around to drilling and fitting the rods. I never got around to fitting them. I'm surprised a new-built house got away with it.

Mr Winston said:
Hi PE

can you clarify if your 'new' house is

a) new build in past couple of years
or
b) an older house but new to you

if its a new build house it shouldnt have open risers anyway (gaps sould be less than 100mm)

you could fix a mesh (wire/timber slats) which would allow light through but stop you putting your foot through

New to us - house was built c1970

Thanks for the suggestion

Johndug said:
I did my own loft conversion in 1987 and built the open staircase myself. When I put the plans in, they were sent back because the treads were more than 100mm wide. I redrew showing 12mm iron bars fitted centrally between the treads. That was acceptable. As it happened, the easy-going inspector made his last visit before I'd got around to drilling and fitting the rods. I never got around to fitting them. I'm surprised a new-built house got away with it.

I think horizontal bar may be way to go thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back