Opening a chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have opened up the old chimney space to install a cast iron fire place. It is to be just a dummy one but I need to open the space to allow it to sit against the wall.

I have knocked the plaster off and opened the space up a bit. I have found the old supporting arch. There is an old cement fire back that needs to be removed my question is has whoever installed the fire back removed the supporting piers for the arch? And if so how can I get round this to install the fire? Can I install a preformed lintel? And how do I do that without causing my self problems?

I've attached a picture.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
how wide, how high do you need?
you could insert a Acrow Strong Boy a few courses above the height you need an then fix a concrete lintel below in the course above the height needed.
or you can use a former to build a new brick arch instead of a lintel.

after the lintel or the arch is settled you can remove whatevers need from below.

Thanks for the reply, my main issue is am I correct that the supporting piers been removed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back