Opening in load bearing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm purchasing a property and would like to create an opening slightly larger than a regular serving hatch in a load bearing wall between lounge and dining room to let more light through.

I've never needed to do this before, so don't even want to think about doing this myself, but would appreciate some guidance.

Do I need to get a structural engineer in to assess the load? It would have the load of the solid wall above.
Will I need to put any form of planning in place?
Does anyone know a rough cost for doing such work?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
How wide is the proposed opening and where in the wall will it be located, i.e. near to the ceiling or near any door openings etc?

Modest, typical openings like internal doors and hatches usually require only a concrete lintel which are simple structural jobs and are of no interest to L.A.

As a rough estimate I would say it would be 1m wide by 0.5m deep. There are doors to the left but there would be at least 0.5m either side of the opening. Distance from ceiling would be something like 1m.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back