Opening manhole/stopcock pit cover (outside)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In connection with the requirement to replace some supply side plumbing, it will be necessary to shut off main stopcock (outside).

Thames Water indicate that it is the property owners responsibility to open/close the stopcock.

Stupid question perhaps but does the sort of cover as in the image lock on, or does it simply lift using a couple of prybars?

Asking because there are two key holes, had a quick go with one prybar and nothing moved although that may also be because the covers fit rather well in the frame/surround, and any gap fills up with dirt.

Thanks as usual.

Sponsored Links
No they dont lock its just stuck with dirt, give it a good whack around all the edges with a hammer then use the keys to lift it, if you have a pressure washer try that around the edges to get rid of the dirt that is causing it to stick

Holy moly, "doing just that" is more difficult than I thought.

Any tips?

Tried banging with a hammer. WD40 round the edge. Crowbar. Banging upwards with crowbar hook in key holes. Etc.

I ordered a set of keys, thinking of fitting one and using something long to lever upwards through they key handle.

Or what?

Sponsored Links
Usually the thin edge of a spade gets them free.....there will be a combination of rust and crap holding the thing down.
John :)

there is no lock mate , when you hit it with the hammer give it good time it wont crack, you will know when you are done when it starts to move when you are hitting it

Thanks again, will just have to keep up the assault... in the middle of a moderately busy road, makes things rather interesting!

With that grouting, don't be surprised if the whole lid comes up :p
See the slots top and bottom....can you get a lever in those?

With that grouting, don't be surprised if the whole lid comes up :p
See the slots top and bottom....can you get a lever in those?

That's a stock photo, not "mine" although the cover is identical. "Mine" only sees a selection of beer lorries, delivery trucks, and every size and weight of HGV driving over it from around 6 a.m. till the late p.m. ... :cry:

Have tried a crowbar there but it's a bit thick so does not really grip the underside of the cover very well, the slots are deep. Anyway - will keep at it till I get run over!

Are you sure this is the right cover?

Is it the same as the one I need to open? Yes, 100%. Here in the West End they seem to all be like that, either saying "Meter" or just "Thames Water" I presume where there is no meter, just rates, as with "mine".

Single house stop cocks normally have smaller, flip up type lids.

There isn't a square yellow sign with a black H on it nearby is there?

That looks like a storm drain cover to me. What size is it ? As said (though i'm not familiar with the west end) stopcock cover is usually only 6"x4" ish with a hinged lid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back