Opening problems with Garador garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hoping someone can advise regarding problems I'm having with a Garador PN31 manual up-&-over door ...

Today, when I tried to go in, the door 'jammed' just as I got it above head height. After various bits of messing about (including getting SWMBO to raise/lower it while I was inside trying to see what was wrong - you can imaging I'm popular about that ! :rolleyes: ), it looks like the (from the inside) right-hand side cable mechanism is failing to retract down when it gets almost open - the cable instead 'pushes' out to the side/top.

The side mechanism has a cover on it - I've tried to remove it but it won't budge (I guess there is more than just the top & bottom screw I saw), as I'm guessing there is something there jamming on lowering down ?

Advice is welcome on how I can resolve this problem !

Mike

Sponsored Links
Mike,

The PN31 is one of Garador Ltd's oldest generation garage doors, in fact it was originally produced by our founding company Westland Engineers Ltd.

Unfortunately, information for this door type is now incredibly scarce and spare or replacement parts have now all been made obsolete.

The problem you are experiencing is being caused by the counterbalance spring which as you have noted is contained within a sealed spring housing which makes it impossible to diagnose the exact cause or fault. I believe that due to its age, the spring has either ceased, broken, damaged or has become caught within the spring housing.

The housing (dependant on age) will either be blind riveted or welded making it unsuitable for service or maintenance unless a suitable replacement complete spring housing can be sourced.

My recommendation (unfortunately) would be to consider, due to its age and lack of spare components available, replacing the garage door.

Kind regards,

Garador Technical Support
Garador Ltd.
Bunford Lane
Yeovil
BA20 2EJ

Tel No. 01935 443 700
Fax No. 01935 443 744

Email. [email protected]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back