uPVC door jams when trying to open it from the inside...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My uPVC front door keeps jamming (won't open to let me out).
Opening the door is a two-step process...1. turn the knob anticlockwise. 2. Lift up the handle.(see picture)

However, when I lift the handle, the "claws" (one near the top of the frame and one near the bottom) in the door frame don't fully retract (see picture) & it takes several attempts of lifting/lowering the handle to retract the claws.

Don't see this getting any better with time, so does anyone know a fix? I could try removing the brass strip down the edge although I'm not sure what I'd find doing that. Maybe put oil on it or something.

Any help appreciated.
IMG_20220831_181713.jpg

IMG_20220831_182140.jpg

IMG_20220831_182114.jpg

Sponsored Links
Step 1. Yep
Strep 2? You lift the handle to open the door? Has it always been like that?

Not an expert but have replaced mechanisms on my tilt/slide patio door and neighbours back door.

The handle assembly and the claws are linked and will look something like this. Not saying this is a suitable replacement.

Your local Window and Door place should be able to sort if you don't fancy it yourself. Doubt it just needs a lube.
My neighbours had manufacturer (and maybe model) on it somewhere so was quite easy to id for a replacement.

Step 1. Yep
Strep 2? You lift the handle to open the door? Has it always been like that?

Not an expert but have replaced mechanisms on my tilt/slide patio door and neighbours back door.

The handle assembly and the claws are linked and will look something like this. Not saying this is a suitable replacement.

Your local Window and Door place should be able to sort if you don't fancy it yourself. Doubt it just needs a lube.
My neighbours had manufacturer (and maybe model) on it somewhere so was quite easy to id for a replacement.
Step 2...raising the handle should retract the claw into the body of the door. But what's happening is that the claw remains partially exposed, meaning the door won't open when you press the handle downwards.

I know the manufacturer so I might contact them or look closer at the brass panel see if there's an identifier.

Edit....just had a look and the locking mechanism is made by WINKHAUS.

Sponsored Links
Might not be the same model as yours

Normally (in my limited experience of doors!) the claws go into the frame when you lift the handle and allow you to lock with the thumb turn or via external lock.
Unlocking using the thumb turn or lock and then push the handle down should retract the hooks and allow you to open the door.

The label on the ebay link seems to say the same thing.
I suspect you have a problem and the lift you are doing is only necessary as something is not meshing with just a down push.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Might not be the same model as yours

Normally (in my limited experience of doors!) the claws go into the frame when you lift the handle and allow you to lock with the thumb turn or via external lock.
Unlocking using the thumb turn or lock and then push the handle down should retract the hooks and allow you to open the door.

The label on the ebay link seems to say the same thing.
I suspect you have a problem and the lift you are doing is only necessary as something is not meshing with just a down push.
You are correct. I made a daft mistake in my initial description...to open the door does NOT require lifting the handle....you just turn the knob anticlockwise and push down on the handle. This push down should be enough to retract the claws into the door, but they remain partially exposed (and jammed into the frame) When this happens, I need to lift the handle up and down a few times to get the claw to retract.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I think you can remove the claw sections temporarily while you source a replacement.
If they get stuck you might be in for a lot of trouble but as said, I am not an expert.

The fact that both the upper and lower claws don't retract, it might just be the central gearbox you need - The assembly with the lock and handle. Rather than the claw sections as well.

I think you can remove the claw sections temporarily while you source a replacement.
If they get stuck you might be in for a lot of trouble but as said, I am not an expert.

The fact that both the upper and lower claws don't retract, it might just be the central gearbox you need - The assembly with the lock and handle. Rather than the claw sections as well.

Yes, neither claw retracts fully and, in fact, are left exposed by more or less the same amount. Good detective work, maybe it's just the gearbox that needs changing. Cheers

After posting the link, I spotted the text that says rivets need drilling and replacing if only changing the centre.
Maybe not a problem for you?

Im confused here, raising the handle should engage the claws not retract, pushing the handle down retracts the claws AND the latch!!!!!!

If the claws remain partially engaged i.e. not fully retracting then it points to wear in the either the centre gearbox OR both hook/claw gearboxes

Im confused here, raising the handle should engage the claws not retract, pushing the handle down retracts the claws AND the latch!!!!!!
I made a mistake in the first post.
To open the door, I turn the knob anticlockwise, then push the handle DOWN. This should work but doesn't...the claws are still partially embedded in the door frame. To coax the claws into fully retracting, I have to raise/lower the handle a few times. Eventually the claws retract and I can open the door to get out.

Yes definately wear in the gearboxes then
Thanks for this.
I notice that when the door is closed and locked, the handle sags downwards rather than being horizontal. Maybe that also implicates the gearbox.
IMG_20220902_080921.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back