ERA conservatory door catch stuck halfway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The single large uPVC external door won’t close: the wedge shaped catch is jammed halfway and will not retract or move at all: and the spindle cannot shift it. I’m not talking about the multi-point locking system, just the normal open and shut with the handle movement – a single catch on the handle/spindle assembly at the halfway point on the door. I’ve unscrewed the two handles and wiggled the spindle about but it does not move the catch in or out. Any advice would be welcome on this very windy day, as I’ve had to rope the door tied to the furniture!

Sponsored Links
Have you some photos please?

Is the handle working at all? If so
Work out which way its supposed to go ... wd40 it , then gently tap with a hammer and see if it moves

Thanks for that - I'd already given it the WD40 treatment, and when I went to reassemble the handles and spindle, the handles worked again, properly. Half an hour later the handles did nothing again, yet when I loosened the screws and tried just one handle, it turned and the catch retracted - however, pushing the open catch with a finger, it only went in halfway, so the door will not close with a pull.

Attachments

• catch-fully-open.jpg
    catch-fully-open.jpg
    512.4 KB · Views: 27
  • finger-push-catch.jpg
    finger-push-catch.jpg
    639.5 KB · Views: 29
  • handle-retracts-catch.jpg
    handle-retracts-catch.jpg
    554.1 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links
The installation is about eight years old, exposed to all the weather from the open garden beyond, I reckon you are right. Replacement gboxes are available for £20 and a DIY job it is then. Thanks for your input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back