Opening up fireplace advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

new to the forum and need some advice!

just bought first house and looking to fit a wood burning stove. What we have at the moment is an fireplace with an opening where the gas fire was (removed about a month ago) the surrounds of which appears to be made of breezeblock and some timber beams in amongst them for support i guess... Inside the opening is brick and not very deep, about a foot or so, with walls which narrow towards the back. The opening itself is about half a meter wide by around three quarters of a meter high. Is it wise to grab a chisel and widen this opening for a wood burning stove or do all the blocks need to come out till the original brick can be seen?

the house is a mid 60s timber framed brick house i believe.

thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
The first thing you need to do is investigate, do not start knock-out, until you have found the support lintel, this will mean removing the fabric covering the chimney breast, Once found then you can access what can be safely removed.

I am sure you have done your research...but before you install a wood burner, please ensure if fits your needs and are aware of the possible cost implications......

Despite the press headlines about how economic they are, a wood burner can be vastly more expensive than a gas fire, and less "green".

Unless you have an ample supply of your own wood. A rough comparison is that a 2kw gas fire on for 3 hours a night (costing maybe 9p per hour) would cost you £35 a year to run.

The equivalent wood burning stove may cost you £200+ to fuel......

I have read many cases of people buying these thinking they are cheap and economic and green, only to find the reverse is true.

You can get defra approved clean burn varietys but these are more expensive...

But..... if you are aware of the pros/cons then great....go for it ...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back