opening up fireplace to fit wood stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi im looking for some help regarding opening up an old fireplace the house is around 100years old can anybody tell me aapproximately how wide the opening will be and what is will look like inside?. I have removed the plaster from the wall but it is very difficult to see what is new and what is old I can only see the lintel about 3 foot up wich needs replacing I took a brick out of the back and that goes right back so im fine thereits jist the width. Inside the chimney itself when I look up the chimney it lookd to have been bricked up on both sides about 5 foot up the che chimney goes widet is this something they would of done just to make it smaller or is that normal any help on this woyld be amazing thanks aaron

Sponsored Links
My opening ended up like this after the concrete pour...
h4l9.jpg

I disregarded all rule books and went with what looked practical and aesthetic for my stove size and chimney breast.

So I have about 250mm clearance at the sides, 330mm on top and the back which is about 120mm.

Yeh nine looks like it coukd look like that was it bricked up the sides inside the chimney if you get what I mean? So you take them bricks down also how did u plaster ? Chhers

The idea behind formwork concrete pouring is to have no plastering.
Well in most cases anyway.

The finish wasn't bad so I just gave it a run with the orbital sander to finish it off and painted the concrete direct with emulsion.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back