opening up fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, new to this site so sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.
Basically I'd like to open up a fire place but after taking some photos through the air vent it seems like it's not straight forward.
I was expecting it just to be bricked up flush with the wall but there are two types of brick and and some are built into the fireplace i will try and attach some pics, as I'm not quite sure how to explain.
Any advice would be massively helpful

Sponsored Links
quite often fireplaces get altered over the years, often made smaller, that's maybe why you can see different types of bricks

Thanks i guessed that would be the case. I'm going to start taking the plaster off the weekend hopefully it all goes well lol
Ill try and post some pics when I get to use the computer

Sponsored Links
looks like it may have arched brickwork originally above the opening then its been lowered and they've used a concrete lintel
usually your safe to open them up back to the original arch
hard to tell for definite from the pictures

but yes knock off the plaster and expose the brickwork then post more pics

Thanks i managed to get take a little video and I can deffinetley see the original arch I'm hoping it's in a fairly good state though.
Yeah I will get some plaster off and post some more pics.
I'd like to keep the original arch, is it necessary to get a lintel above the arch or would it have to be below it? Sorry for all the questions

hi,
I've just done the same,

I started by removing all the plaster from the chimney breast to reveal the original brickwork then started taking out the infill bricks, the original arched brickwork is the lintel,
so no other lintel will be required as long as the brick arch is sound and doing it's job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back