Opinion on padstones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Just tidying up a rough opening where I need to fit some bifold doors where an old window used to be. Some of the bricks were missing from when previous occupants placed window and going to replace the bricks and repoint pillar before running up with stihl saw so there is a decent fixing for bifolds.

Long story short. When brickie put in the two small steels he initially missed stuff and had to take them out and refit. In doing so he hasn't put the padstones in plumb, particularly the right one is on the wonk a bit. It's also got dry packing above cause he only left it with some slate packing up a fair few gaps so I filled in the void to be on safe side.

Now I'm coming to tidy up the rough opening a bit, would anyone take out the padstones and put them in plumb and fully bearing steels or do you think it's overkill and just leave alone?

Cheers again for advice

Attachments

• 20211108_172400.jpg
    20211108_172400.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 20211108_172440.jpg
    20211108_172440.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 83
Sponsored Links
Those padstones may as well not be there, because it looks as though the contact area between the steel beams and top of the padstones is the same as the contact area beween the padstones and the brickwork underneath.

They are not intended to be fixed upright but should be laid horizontally to spread the load over a bigger area of brickwork and so reduce the compressive stress on the bricks.

As a builder, he seems to have no clue.

Hi @tony1851

We've found a fair few bits as he's gone a long that don't seem quite right.

Sound, I'll take them out as I'm sorting the pillar and place horizontally.

Thanks for advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back