Opinions? Builders damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just had a conservatory redone. I have polished porcelain floor tiles which the builders didn’t cover and put scaffolding on with a couple of five inch tiles as rests. It rained as well while roof off. So 4 pairs of boots, masonry work, grit, sand, walked into floor over 4 days and scaffolding. I have 4 cracked tiles and 27 marks. The grouting was vanilla it’s now grey. The oak indoor window ledge was bleached of all varnish in the rain. So…. Is this really out of order or an expected result when having work done. I’m a bit p…..d.

Sponsored Links
It is good practice (not to mention good manners) to protect all finished areas in a building you are working on, especially if the building is in use. For tiles I'd expect something like a layer of foam underlay or the like with cut to fit plywood on top whilst the woodwork could have easily been protected with Visqueen (black polythene) and adhesive tape.

The contractor should know this and instructed his staff accordingly - but he or his charge hand/foreman should also have checked that instructions were being followed. It isn't rocket science, and is one aspect of the construction industry I continually rail against.

I suggest you write to him, expressing your dissatisfaction and asking how they intend to make amends. Enclose photographs of the damage. If they have done their job competently they should also have before and after photographs on file and be able to see from their own files what has occurred (for many years I routinely recorded before, during and after photographs of work done in order to cover my own arriss against potential claims - as a sub-contractor insurers do seem to like you to do this as well)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
I had a plumber who cracked a tile, and smashed a plant pot. He just brushed it off like it was nothing. He paid for a new plant pot, but refused to replace the tile. No wonder builders don’t have a good reputation, it’s rare to find a decent one

I just had a conservatory redone. I have polished porcelain floor tiles which the builders didn’t cover and put scaffolding on with a couple of five inch tiles as rests. It rained as well while roof off. So 4 pairs of boots, masonry work, grit, sand, walked into floor over 4 days and scaffolding. I have 4 cracked tiles and 27 marks. The grouting was vanilla it’s now grey. The oak indoor window ledge was bleached of all varnish in the rain. So…. Is this really out of order or an expected result when having work done. I’m a bit p…..d.
I hope you have this sorted now

Back