Opinions on best external wall finish.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are going to be having our house rendered or dashed in the near future and can't decide on the best product, the coloured k-rend looks good but there is a few bad reports and i'm guessing its costly.
We also like yellow spar which would be cheaper and easier to repair if needed in the future.
What would you guys in the trade have on your own house?

Sponsored Links
We are going to be having our house rendered or dashed in the near future and can't decide on the best product, the coloured k-rend looks good but there is a few bad reports and i'm guessing its costly.
We also like yellow spar which would be cheaper and easier to repair if needed in the future.

I don't know where you get the idea that it will be easier and cheaper to repair dash!!?

As for preference it would depend on what is the "norm" for your area and if you have it flat rendered then you will have a choice of what colour you want it. And at a later date will be able to change your colour..Also if you are in an area that has extreme weather then "Dash " would be preferable as it disspasitates water better than flat render, but at the end of the day it will be your choice even tho it will be an informed one, But dont be thinking that any type of render or dash you choose will be cheap to repair .If done properly it should never need to be repaired,, ;) Hope this helps....

Personally, it's down to what you like the look of.

K rend, mono couche etc are not so expensive when you take paintig with a decent exterior paint twice in ten years into account, especially if scaffolding is required on the second redecoration.

If you want to change colour in the future , then the rubbed up render is the one as k rend or dash is hard to paint.

If you get a pebble you like, and are not worried about kids falling against it, then dashing is done once and left there.

IF you have elevations that have to be done in stages or on different days, because of size or acess, k rend may shade a little if not done by an expert

So no answeres for you - but I like a nice rubbed up render !

Does anyone think about design these days.

Pebbledash, sooooo 1970's
Flat cement Render, paint paint paint.damp, peel, repair
K Rend, some issues and 'know how' to do well.
Decopierre, 1000's of choices of finish.
Wetherby, Brick finish lime.

Theres a design led finish out there for all

Sponsored Links

It all boils down to personal choice at the end of the day...You don't ask people what car you should buy or would I look good in these shoes.... :LOL:

True, but size 11 stilletos , I hpe they are steel toe caps :LOL:

It all boils down to personal choice at the end of the day...You don't ask people what car you should buy or would I look good in these shoes.... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back