Opinions on Dulux Diamond paints?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Shortly going to start decorating the living room after totally gutting it and starting over (everything skimmed, new skirting, windowboards, the lot), and I'm seriously looking into using Diamond Satinwood for the skirting and sills, but I've never used it before..

Anyone with experience care to comment on suitability, and any tips on working with it?

Sponsored Links
I've used this quite a lot recently on new builds as the customer didn't want the usual smells of solvent based paint. Overall it requires a little more time and effort than solvent based satinwood. I found that a Purdy brush is ideal for this and it leaves less brush marks. I used Jabot (dulux colour) and to give a good finish it took 3 coats. Saying that it dries quick and it seems pretty tough. How long it will last.......who knows!

Thanks for that, I don't mind extra effort if I can avoid the insane drying times of 2010 paint.

You can increase the drying times of the oil based paints by using terebene. You will end up with touch dry times approximating those of pre 2010 paints, even more depending on the amount of terebene used.

If you do go for the water based cconsider using floetrol to aid flow.

Sponsored Links
You can increase the drying times of the oil based paints by using terebene. You will end up with touch dry times approximating those of pre 2010 paints, even more depending on the amount of terebene used.

If you do go for the water based cconsider using floetrol to aid flow.

How much does it cost and can I get it in sanely small amounts?

Well the Terebene is affordable, 15 quid worth of Floetrol is pushing it though for one job.

You can get 250ml of propylene glycol from your chemist for about a fiver but they will need to order it for you.

I've got to say something that will likely upset at least one person, but I really can't stand the well know brand names anymore, like Dulux.

The cost is huge, but the performance increase isn't.

I bought £1-2 hundred pounds worth of their Light and Space recently for the house because the sunlight doesn't get inside some bits very well.

It does help! I can certainly see a difference.

But it fades once the inevitable dust and mucky hand scuffs build up, which happened in less than a year in my case; a room I just painted with B&Q's £9.99 big tubs looks as bright as the areas I did 6 months ago with the Light and Space.

Also, the cost of the stuff is unreal compared to the gain. It's about £30 - 45 for a 5l can?

Now, I just go straight to the stores own brand big tubs and apply an extra layer if it's not as pure / solid as I want it. Dulux has never done that for me either, the one coats are never one coat to a layer that doesn't get better without another coat.

Sorry guys! I know, they are nice paints, it's just the cost doesn't match the performance for me.

I've entirely stopped using glosses in the house. It's getting urethane or epoxy if it needs that kind of finish; e.g. floors, worksurfaces / walls in the garage, sanded floors etc.

I DO use branded paints for specific tasks, like covering moisture stains where a normal emulsion hasn't got a hope in hell. I just bought a can of ICI stain block. But the price tag on the Dulux emulsions is just way too much in my opinion.

I have been using the Dulux Trade Diamond Satinwood for a few months now on all our woodwork, I am very happy with the results.
It is not a paint that you can just slap on unless you don't mind it looking a mess, it takes some getting used to applying but with a bit of practice & patience I think it is pretty good, I definatly wont be going back to the yellowing oil based & with it being water based clean up is a lot easier.

I would definitely say get a decent Purdy brush & Floetrol.

Well, having got all the paint on..

Liking it. It really likes to crack over caulk on the first coat, but after a few coats it's fine so far. Found it pretty easy to work with, and a good finish with a decent brush.

Cleanup is certainly easy, and having it touch dry in a few hours and recoatable not long after is a real boon.

Painting over caulk can be a nightmare but many recommend a coat of oil-based undercoat to seal it.

As for Dulux Diamond, I struggle with it. It feels almost gritty and doesn't flow well (even with floetrol and a drop of water)
I prefer by a long way Johnstones water based, especially their Aqua U/C and Gloss. A splash of floetrol and it does a great job.
As with all water based trim paints you do need to prep it well and a coat of zinsser primer is also a good idea as a bridging coat. Given that it all dries so fast it takes no more time than traditional paints though there is more labour time.
As Bucks says a decent brush is a must, and I rate Corona brushes even higher than Purdys - the Corona Knight is the best brush I have ever used by a long way !

Was that two years ago? Wow.

Still using the same tin as I go around the house. Very happy with it, although it can be a pain (drags like hell, wants to go on thick as glue).

..and guess who is new on here so trawling through loads of old threads with no regard to how long ago the last post was..!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back