Opinions on professional paint job plz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Posting for a friend. He had his 2 spare bedrooms plastered recently. Decorator in today who put 2 coats of uni bond plaster primer on and has started to paint. So far 3 coats and says one more needed. This was all in one afternoon. This is the result. The paint was dulux. Would value your thoughts please. Will refrain from sharing mine as don't want to lead anyone!

Attachments

• IMG-20190511-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20190511-WA0006.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG-20190511-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20190511-WA0001.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG-20190511-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20190511-WA0005.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG-20190511-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20190511-WA0002.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 166
Sponsored Links
uni bond plaster primer

Do you mean PVA glue?

I didn't think there were any decorators left who do that. They have mostly been killed by angry clients.

The horrible cracking is just what I would expect from someone who made that mistake. The glue is water-soluble so it turns to slime when wetted by the paint, then dries out again and shrinks.

Try to persuade your friend not to allow this person into his house again. I wonder what his regular job is?

All I can say is WTF -- There is no way he is a Professional Painter and Decorator, I have never heard off uni bond plaster primer, normally just mist coat new plaster with water down emulsion, why did he put 2 coats of primer on, you should mist coat the walls, check for any filling and apply 2 top coats of your chosen coloured emulsion.
And as for the cutting in around the ceiling, its disgraceful, my you boy could do better. The best thing your friend could do is definitely not pay him any money and kick him as far down the road as possible.
Its these so called Painters and Decorators that are given my trade I have been in for 33 years a bad name.
All I can say absolutely shocking work and definitely doesn't know what he is doing. :censored::censored::eek::eek::eek:

The mistake is painting the walls with watered down PVA, hell of a problem to get a decent finish now, Get the decorator to re plaster the walls .

Sponsored Links
Thats just to lure people in, I am a Professional and I have never heard of this product.
Normally you would just thin down white emulsion and put a mist coat on. The cutting in where the wall meets the ceiling is beyond atrocious, college apprentices would do better on there first day at college. Are you sure this guy is a Professional Painter and Decorator and not just someone who baddly dabbles in there spare time

Thanks everyone. Yes as far as I knew it was watered down emulsion to seal new plaster but thought the decorator must know what he was doing. Having looked into it though it seems this unibond stuff is for if u want to tile the wall and not have the plaster suck all the moisture out of the tile adhesive.
Problem is my friend paid him for the day in the morning before he saw his work. He has another decorator who says he can sort the botched job. The second room at the mo is just plaster with unibond stuff on, no paint yet. I'm thinking if we could get that off I could seal it and paint it but how do we get it off?! Any ideas? All I can think of is either to sand it or use something like paint stripper?
Thanks for all your help

the listing says:

"Product Details

Product Information

Priming before applying plaster"

It's what you use to help the plaster stick to the wall.

Not under the paint.

Though the label says

"Allows use of Unibond Cementitious Adhesives"

I wonder if they mean like tile cement? Or rendering? Or stone cladding?

No mention of suitability under paint, that I can see.

If you want to remove it, I've known plasterers sometimes leave drips or smears of glue, for example where they've used it skimming a wall and some has got on the walls. You can dissolve it in hot water and scrub it off, then scrape off the resultant slime and towel it dry, but there may be a better way when you have a whole wall covered in it.

Last edited:
I would just coat walls in both rooms with Zinserr and then apply emulsion. Its idiots like this that is ruining my trade, I dont know hoe they sleep at night.

The only way to sort this out now is to give it all a coat of Zinsser Gardz which will seal and bind down the ****e the idiot has put on the walls.

3 coats of Dulux Trade emulsion should have be sufficient (with the first coat watered down by about 20%).

As above, Zinsser make a number of coatings that will help. Part of the problem with PVA is that when wet, it re-emulsifies. A cheaper option would be to apply a dilute coat of SBR (Styrene Butyl Rubber). It is similar to PVA but doesn't reactivate when wet.

Be advised that each coat of paint subsequently will take longer to dry given that none of the water in the paint is able to soak into the plaster anymore. Effectively it means that you might need to wait longer before you can apply the next coat of emulsion and that you need to make sure that one doesn't apply the paint to thick, lest it starts to slide. It isn't te end of the world though.

Just out of interest, where did your friend find the supposed decorator? Was it one of those checkatrade type sites? I find it hard to believe that he is a proper decorator.

3 coats of Dulux Trade emulsion should have be sufficient (with the first coat watered down by about 20%).

As above, Zinsser make a number of coatings that will help. Part of the problem with PVA is that when wet, it re-emulsifies. A cheaper option would be to apply a dilute coat of SBR (Styrene Butyl Rubber). It is similar to PVA but doesn't reactivate when wet.

Be advised that each coat of paint subsequently will take longer to dry given that none of the water in the paint is able to soak into the plaster anymore. Effectively it means that you might need to wait longer before you can apply the next coat of emulsion and that you need to make sure that one doesn't apply the paint to thick, lest it starts to slide. It isn't te end of the world though.

Just out of interest, where did your friend find the supposed decorator? Was it one of those checkatrade type sites? I find it hard to believe that he is a proper decorator.
I would say a Fireman thats does decorating on the side as I have heard a lot of them doing this.
If you dont use a Professional Painter and Decorator with experience in the trade you are going to end up with shixe like this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back