Painting chalky artex ceiling in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have an artex ceiling in the bathroom. I tried painting it with dulux matt paint, thinned 1st coat and then a 2nd coat.

Unfortunately it is peeling. I should of taken more time to assess the situation but onwards...

Ideally I would have it removed and reboard the ceiling as it is a small room, 1 shower, toilet and sink. That's not an option for a variety of reasons.

I need to effectively seal and stabilise the surface so I can paint it with something like Dulux quick drying eggshell paint.

I'm having to do this in between work so I need something I can buy today from Homebase/BandQ and apply, and then finish coat on saturday (work on sunday).

I'm currently scraping off as much as the matt paint as possible which is not made easy by the contoured surface.

Options I am considering:
  • Apply a plaster sealer product and then 2 coats of eggshell
  • Apply dulux alkali resistant primer and then 2 coats of eggshell
  • Apply dulux primer sealer and then 2 coats of eggshell

After I've finished lunch I'll get the rest of the matt paint off and then nip to the sheds to see what's on offer so hopefully a recommendation will be forthcoming in the next hour :)

Sponsored Links
Zinsser bin is good over chalkiness. Gardz would be fine as well and cheaper

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back