Opinions on some incoming damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm totally new to the forums so bear with me! I'd appreciate all of your opinions on some DIY.

I am trying to resolve a damp issue with my mother's converted garage - I find the design of the garage pretty bizarre with the slope into the centre, the gutter is very uneven and doesn't necessarily slope one way or the other so water is collecting in it. Added to that the roofing felt is approximately 10 years old; I believe that the felt and guttering need replacing, as water now comes through the roof pretty readily in the corner when it rains.

I'm not sure if you any of you feel the brickwork needs replacing also? There are a few cracks and chips, could that create this bad a problem?

Many thanks! :)

R

Sponsored Links
Would you mind stepping back and giving us some pics of larger more general areas, including the other side of the parapet wall?

The felt has to come off, and the falls to the carcassing (joists etc.) might need re-jigging - there must be definite falls in a flat roof and gulley.
Its possible that there's fungal damage in the roof space.

The parapet shows signs of perished brickwork immediately below the coping stones and just peeping out from the felt upstand, with the odd spelched/perished brick here and there.

The shute and rainwater goods need attention - chutes should always be in lead sheet. Difficulty here is that both roofs, and both sides of the garage dividing wall seem to be in need of attention.

Inside the garage the ceiling and any damp affected wall coverings must come off and down back to joists and brickwork. Whats inside the boxing-in? Whats the condition of the window frame?

If you open up the garage area, as above, and post pics of whats revealed more detailed info can be given

We've just done one like that, we EPDM'd the roof, up and over the parapet and then put the coping stones back on. He tried everything else and ours worked. Looks a bit weiird but he's bone dry now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back