Opinions please on this combi install? All ok? Pics attached

only way to find out is to run hot water and see if bathroom rad gets hot

Hmm it doesn't seem to. I ran the hot tap for quite a while with the TRV turned right up and it didnt seem to get warm. It seems that is ruled out.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Could be a problem, we have a Vaillant ecoTEC plus 937 (what a mouthful) and even when it is freezing outside you can get lovely hot water with the tap full open.

Aye it's not great. Hopefully there will be some way around it or something we can fix to lessen the effect. We looked at the Vaillant but space was an issue and most installers we chatted to said you paid a bit of a premium for the name with Vaillant versus the Remeha. the 5 year guarantee with the Remeha is nice too. In practice though, well installed they are probably both fine makes of boiler.

Andy

You may have a leak on yer domestic (unsure how this boiler works on thermistors) but on Isars and other boilers if there is a leak the plate will cool down and the DHW thermistor will notice the cold water passing over it and bring the boiler on to heat up the plate again as it thinks you have drawn off some water!

Thanks for that, would this DHW leak be inside the boiler then or on a run of pipe somewhere in the house?

Andy

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, would this DHW leak be inside the boiler then or on a run of pipe somewhere in the house?

Andy

Have been keeping abreast of your progress on this. What's happened to the plumber - shouldn't he have come and sorted all these problems, and the outstanding tasks out by now?

Hi swidders, I only called him back on these issues last night and he's coming out tomorrow afternoon. I left it a day or two while I gathered opinions on here and assembled my snag list as you suggested. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Andy

Hope this possible leak is resolved without any fuss. Good fact-finding mission going on by you!

Just a bit of an update, the plumber came back on Saturday...

- He fitted the earth bond to the gas pipe (there wasn't one). :rolleyes:

- He said the condensate pipe doesn't need to be wider bore or insulated because as soon as it exits the house it drops vertically and then joins the main, larger bore waste water pipe and so won't have a chance to freeze. Makes sense to me.

- Boiler firing up at odd times and showing 6 on the front. He didn't really know what this was or why and suggested I call Broag. I did this and left a message with a receptionist for someone to call me back but never got a call. But since then I set the boiler to Eco mode (P4 = 1) and I think that might have stopped it. Fingers crossed.

- He said the magnaclean is installed under the floorboards (and carpet) on the landing as there wasn't room for it near the boiler. The landing seems an odd place to me, will we need to get at the magnaclean often do you think? If so I guess I could get it relocated to the airing cupboard.

- He said his reason for not getting rid of the tanks in the loft was that they were too big to get out the hatch and he didn't have time to cut them up. Fair enough but the quote didn't say he'd take them out if he "had the time" it said he'd take them out, it's not a big issue though as I can sort it out myself.

- He said the gas pipe is (and is only required to be) sleeved where it actually enters or exits the wall, there seemed to be some differing opinions on here as to if the whole external run needed sleeving but he seemed pretty sure it didn't.

- He said the TRVs can go on either end of the rads as it is a combi (sealed) system?

- He conceeded that he'd put the rad in the airing cupbard in the wrong place and that we had agreed the back. He is coming back to move it so that's good.

- DHW running much cooler at high flow rates - he said this is just our old style and very high flow rate bath taps. Again it seems to make sense and bears out what others on here have said, we'll be getting a new bathroom soon so I guess that will solve itself.

- Electric cable dangling under boiler - He agreed this was a bit ropey and he would cable tie it up when he came back to move the rad.

- He said all the cable in the airing cupboard was because of the way the ring main ran, we might be able to tidy that up a bit with a sparky.

That's it really, so I think all's well that ends well. Anyone think different?

Thanks for all your help! :cool:

Andy

I'd be wanting to see that magnaclean with me own eyes. Stupid place to put it though. :rolleyes:

He came back and gave reasonable replies to the questions.

Of course he should have said that he will come round when he has time to cut up the loft tank.

If plastic 20 minutes.

If steel the 1-2 hours!

The magnaclean under the floor is a bit odd. Nothing wrong as long as you have non fitted carpets.

I still dont know why it could not have gone under the boiler though.

Tony

Yeah we have fitted carpets. :confused:

Maybe I'll see if he can move it to the the airing cupboard or something, it struck me as a bit odd but I wasn't sure how often it would need to be accessed.

I Would say the guy is lying and i would normally give people the benefit.
A magna clean needs taking out and cleaning so needs to be accessable WHY on earth would you put it under boards and a carpet, but then again so people have weird ideas

If he properly power flushed the system then the Magnaclean is not necessary!

If it was used as an alternative to proper cleaning then it needs to be checked/cleaned during commissioning and then at intervals afterwards.

Its not possible to state what those intervals are as it depends on the cleanliness of the system. Could be every day or once a year.

I was called to a new G-W boiler with a blocked plate HE and I replaced that and then ( non power ) flushed the system through and fitted a Magnaclean with a gauze filter in the outlet ( which Chris Adey should really provide with the unit! ).

I attended about two weeks later and there was little dirt in it. I went again three months later when she wanted a gas safety certificate and again there was very little dirt in it.

I would always fit a Magnaclean ® in an accessable location as it needs to be checked at a service if not more frequently.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back