Opinions wanted on price

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am currently have a re loft conversion done my bungalow, so removing the current loft conversion and doing again.

Just had a call from the conversion company re the downstairs lighting circuit, removing the current loft has allowed access to the currently lighting circuit, the electrician claims its a mess and wants to rewire it, cost £550. So this is to rewire 6 rooms, each with a pendant light.

I queried why this is needed and received the response its a mess and there are lots of junction boxes.

Does this seem like a reasonable price to everyone? Not sure whether to go ahead with this.

For that price should I be expecting new cable everywhere (I would think so) but then he wont be able to rewire to the switches as they are in plaster.

Any opinions gratefully received.

Thanks

Neil

Sponsored Links

Cannot give an opinion if it cannot be seen.

There are too many variables including:
building construction
Access to ceiling/floor voids
Routes for cabling
Condition of existing consumer unit (may need RCDs for the new lighting circuits
Existing switch cables in conduit, or not

etc etc etc

The question you should be asking is it unsafe, you will find that most installations of an age will have been installed using junction boxes and I have no doubt plenty of add ons along the way.
Just because it maybe considered a mess does not make unsafe to use.
Pictures would be nice!
I have just rewired two lighting systems, on two properties, both of similar size.
One I charged £1200 and the other was £750, so as Taylortwocities was mentioned above each property can throw up different problems.

Hi,

Thanks for the input. I am just stressed at the moment with the whole builders pulling the house apart.

I will post some pics up later when I get home as I would like some further input if possible.

With regards to extra information, I have spoken with the builder again and they cannot tell me that the installation is unsafe as it is not. Basically they have removed all the walls upstairs in the loft conversion and the floors and I think it would be quicker for them to rewire rather than alter the current installation to fit the new roof, all the junction boxes are attached the to rafters which will be removed.

There is complete free access to all the ceilling roses, ceilling from above and cable routes from the fuseboard, wiring to the switches are plastered in so no conduit.

So they are quoting £550 + vat to completely rewire the lights, chase out walls to switches to add conduit replace wiring and re plaster.

Lights include

Bathroom - Ceiling rose and extractor fan.
Hall - Ceiling rose
Living room - rose
dining room - rose
bedroom 1 - rose
bebroom 2 - rose

Footprint is 10mx7m

Now I have written that out it does not sound like a bad price at all.

Thanks

Neil (in panic mode)

Sponsored Links
Does that include materials? Is this electrician Part P registered?

There's all types of things that have to be factored into costing these days and those are just two to begin with along with insurance especially if you're working in a " loft".

Guess the grief you're having will be worth it long term.

I am currently have a re loft conversion done my bungalow, so removing the current loft conversion and doing again. ... the currently lighting circuit, the electrician claims its a mess and wants to rewire it ... its a mess and there are lots of junction boxes.
Here's an interesting question for someone ... what, if anything, do you think that any parts of the Building Regs have to say about building work (everyday sense) which renders (currently accessible) junction boxes inaccessible?

Kind Regards, John.

The term 'mess' doesn't really tell us a lot. As mentioned, junctions boxes were the norm once, so they may or may not have been done well.

If many alterations have been done, and there's a vast amount of joins and bodges, then it would make sense to re-new the lot as you won't get a chance like this again. It makes good sense to replace every cable to make it a worthwhile task.

Renewing it all is probably more cost effective that messing around extending and rejoining old cables

How old is the wiring? If over forty years it would certainly be worth considering.

Are there earth wires present in the wiring?

Pictures of the wiring and inside some of the junction boxes would be helpful. I think it's the only way we can tell if it's worth saving or not.

So they are quoting £550 + vat to completely rewire the lights, chase out walls to switches to add conduit replace wiring and re plaster.

Bathroom - Ceiling rose and extractor fan.
Hall - Ceiling rose
Living room - rose
dining room - rose
bedroom 1 - rose
bebroom 2 - rose
14 items assuming 1 switch for each item - or about £40 per item, which doesn't seem too bad.

It seems a fair price, will it include installing RCD protection and upgrading Earth and bonding conductors, just a couple of more things that may pop up!

Hi,

Thanks again for the input.

They are planning on adding the lighting circuit to their new cu, so taking the circuits off of the existing and onto the new cu.

Supposedly the earthing is all ok.

I think the price is ok I am just not sure that the work is necessary. I dont think it looks like a mess.

A few photos. Its the white cables.

DSC01072.jpg

DSC01065.jpg

DSC01070.jpg

That's not bad at all!

The cables could do with some extra cleats - don't like the wire staples :mad:

I'm assuming the boxes will still be accessible after the work is compelted?

Possibly a lot of it could be salvaged.

Are there many more junction boxes, or just those in the picture?

I imagine it was in the original quote to redirect any wiring in the way.

There are four boxes in total.

Yes it would all be accessible.

Original quote including everything, this extra work has come about as a recomendation from the electrician who says its a mess and not worth saving!

Will have a cup of tea and decide what to do! :)

The cables are not clipped with the correct clips and there appears to be singles in the loft? Red & blue?

Assuming all the wiring is in good nick, and assuming all junction boxes can be put in accessible places and assuming any cables he can't extend will be replaced then you shouldn't have to pay any extra.

It does appear there is a fair amount of wiring to redirect, and in some ways it makes perfect sense to replace it. It's probably just as easy to start again - but you will have to pay for it. Because there appears to be little wrong with it, it seems unfortunate to have to pay so much extra, when perhaps you don't really need to.

However, the old wiring does need a good looking over for any damage, dodgy joints, ancient cable, etc - and any defects must be rectified.

It's up to you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back