Optima Compact zone error

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a strange problem I am struggling to resolve. My downstairs zone (timed & final door set) has stopped working on all but one door. In total 8 doors on the downstairs circuit are wired with door sensors but the system will only set on one of them the other 7 being comeptely ignored. It was fine a few weeks ago. If a wire was disconneceted then the system would never set but why does it do so on the one door? I have checked all the connections the best I can but the wiring is burried behind walls, floors and door casings. Behind the main box, if i recall correctly, there are some wires going into chocolate bars which is making me wonder if I have 2 circuits connected into a single zone. There is only one set going into the actual zone connection visible inside the man box. Hope I am making sense!!

Sponsored Links
Essentially my downstairs zone has worked with 8 hard wired doors for years but now only one door on the circuit is working. The other 7 are just dead as if they have no sensors connetced. I can set the alarm and leave the property no problem with just a single door on the circuit armed. I am really puzzled by this since it suggests the circuit is intact but why then does it allow me to set it with the other doors open??

Ok
Are all the 7 doors on one zone ? E.g. Zone 1 or across different zones ? Do they go from door to door or all go back to the control panel ?

Sponsored Links
Hi
Thanks for coming back to me. They are all on the same zone (zone 2) I have zone 1 for front door and zone 3 for all the upstairs doors.

The downstairs zone is all on a single wire run running in series. No return back to box. They have used telphone cable switching on the blues (both blue/white and white blue togteher) and returning on the orange. A tamper circuit is setup on the greens but i have disarmed that for now in an attempt to find the problem. I thought the fault was one of the door sensors which I have removed now and closwed teh circuit by connecting all eth blues together.

Zone1 1 (front door) and zone 3 (upstairs with 5 doors on one circuit are working fine).

im baffled!! Its a new box by the way replaced because I assumed this was the fault!!

Thanks for trying to help me

Jeff

IMG_1527.JPG There's a short on the cable
See crude diagram ....lol

Guess so but how do i find it? All the wiring is buried behind architraves and plaster! By short I presume you mean the blue is touching the orange between the first and second door at some point (the door which is working is right next to the box so i assume its the first on the run) thereby providing a return to the box. Thats the only logic I can see. If so I am going under the floor boards tomorrow! lol

I took one out from door i thought was to blame. They are an 8mm diameter tube with 4 wires. There is no plate screwed in. The tube is just set flush in the door casing. I guess about 20mm long

I damaged the one i removed. Buggers to get out. Are you thinking the fault is with one of the sensors or the wiring between. To take them all out would create a right mess. They have been so well fit you cant tell there is a sensor in there!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back