Optima panel blowing fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New Optima compact alarm panel trips breaker in consumer unit when powered up?
Sparky is satisfied no fault with new fuse spur and when I disconnect live into new panel it does not trip.
Sparky says it could be transformer faulty in new panel?
Any help or advise gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Is the spur wired directly fro the CU. If so is it wired as an RCD protected circuit ? Your neutral may be on the wrong bus bar in the cu. Each time you apply power the breaker would then trip. Could be the transformer if so only thing you can do is take it back where you bought it and swap it. Did you install system yourself ?

Yes it is wired into rcd cu. Yes I did wire it myself.
Just had whole house rewired and laboured with part P sparky.
I will check neutral onto bus bar.

Thanks.

What do you mean by 'trips breaker'? Do you mean the actual breaker for the circuit? If so then that is an overcurrent trip and you have a short circuit somewhere.

If you mean the RCD then your wiring to the fuse or the panel is shorting to earth/neutral. The panel is double insulated so doesn't trip anything.

In 20 years I've never had or seen a bad transformer.

Sponsored Links
joe-90 said:
In 20 years I've never had or seen a bad transformer.

i have, but the ratio of panels i have seen to bad / doddgy transformers is very tiny

Thanks for your advise so far. I am now pretty sure it will be a neutral fault in cu, it does not trip the breaker when fuse spur powered up it trips the main rcd. it is a split board so only knocks off part of cu.

Thanks again for help and advise.

If that is the case then the alarm should be wired to the non-rcd side of the CU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back