Optimum gas boiler temperature?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and merry Christmas everyone. Can anyone tell me what's the optimal temp to set the gas boiler to to get heat and at the same time saving on gas? I had mine at 56 and dropped it to 50. Its getting to temp but kicking in soon after reaching temp to regain set temp. Is it better to have boiler set higher temp to let the thermostat go over set temp and therefore kick in less often or is it better to let thetmostat reach exact set temp and kick in more ofter for shorter time?

Sponsored Links
All depends on your boiler and system, better if you told us what boiler and controls you have

Hi Ianmcd. It is the glowworm esicom 28c boiler I think it's a condensing boiler er

A lower flow temperature will be cheaper to run, but if it's cycling a lot at 50 that will increase wear and tear. 55-60 is great, it'll condense most of the time at that, and that's where the efficiency comes from

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Sorry mate yes will be a condensing boiler and not your fault but like most manus these days every boiler is called the same , there are 3 with the same name as I know, possibly more , if you can then post a pic of the boilers control panel so we can see what you actually have

Glow worm 28c
IMG_20191226_160759.jpg
IMG_20191226_160814.jpg
IMG_20191226_160759.jpg
IMG_20191226_160759.jpg
IMG_20191226_160814.jpg
IMG_20191226_160759.jpg

No problem it happens sometimes on here, for anyone else reading this post this is the model that you have.
https://www.glow-worm.co.uk/glow-wo...installation-manual-0020239562-02-1411351.pdf

This boiler is indeed a condensing boiler, unfortunately when you replace a Standard efficiency boiler with a condensing boiler , it does not really mean that it will be much more efficient, the systems radiator sizing and pipe sizing have to be suitable for the new boiler if you really want to get the most out of the efficiency, your boiler is what is called fully modulating and think it of a cars accelerator , it will increase and reduce the gas rate as required but switching on and off all the time will not get you any savings , your room thermostat is simply an on /off switch, I would set the boiler max heating temp about 70 degrees and let the sensing system in the boiler do its job, what you set your room thermostat is what you are comfortable with

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Before you posted last post I had set the boiler to 70. Now it comes on for 15 mins at 35% out put every hour and 10 mins. Temp is set to 22 degrees. Switches of at that and it creeps up to 22.3 degrees. That seems good what do you think?

sounds about right, there are some smart controls around these days, but with the cost of them will you get full payback I doubt it , you have what you have

Hi and merry Christmas everyone. Can anyone tell me what's the optimal temp to set the gas boiler to to get heat and at the same time saving on gas? I had mine at 56 and dropped it to 50. Its getting to temp but kicking in soon after reaching temp to regain set temp. Is it better to have boiler set higher temp to let the thermostat go over set temp and therefore kick in less often or is it better to let thetmostat reach exact set temp and kick in more ofter for shorter time?
Put it on the lowest water temperature that provides a satisfactory house temperature. That could be 45 in spring and autumn and 60+ if it's below freezing.
If you get a weather compensating boiler+controls it does that all for you in supposedly the optional way.
If you really want to get scientific and prove for yourself you can measure the rate of condensate production per unit of gas, more is better.
Once you start getting to really low flow temperatures the energy used by the pump etc may outweigh any savings.

Disclaimer I'm not a gas engineer.

I got the netatmo smart thermostat. Its a which best buy. Seems very good. The problem with the house I am renting is it is double glazed but they never bothered to put a pvc front and back door. If they had I reckon I would get another 15 mins before boiler kicks in again. Kitchen is always cold

The only correct way to confirm is to have it sampled and tested, by a professional. It’s ok if it’s not disturbed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back