Optimum heating/hot water system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am looking at replacing my central heating / hot water system and could use some advice (and maybe help with finding a good contractor!)

At the moment we have an ageing standard gas boiler and hot water storage tank (with loft storage tank) system in our mid terraced property (1 bathroom, 3 bedrooms) in Ayrshire, Scotland. I need to replace the boiler soon (it's 20+ years old) and would like to remove the tank in the loft, but I want to be able to run a shower at high pressure so have been looking at heat bank thermal store systems for the hot water rather than a combiboiler or straight replacement of what we already have.

This also seems to lend itself quite well to solar powered hot water and/or air source heat pump to augment a new gas boiler for either just hot water supply or possibly hot water and central heating. We have a south facing pitched roof that a solar panel could go on. Does anybody have any recommendations, and maybe a vague idea of total cost to supply and install (a) a heat bank thermal store (with immersion heater for emergencies) and new efficient gas boiler plus necessary plumbing, and while we're at it all 6 radiators in the house (b) this plus thermal solar panel and (c) option (a) plus air source heat pump. From what I understand thermal solar panel cells will take a while to pay back, but that's OK. Or, is there another option that I'm missing?

Finally - can anyone recommend any experienced suppliers in the Glasgow/Ayrshire area that I could go to for a quote?

Thanks guys - any advice or past experience appreciated!

Matt

Sponsored Links
Obviously Dick Puller would be your first choice.

But he is surprisingly shy with his contact details!

For my interest ( amusement ) could you explain why you DONT want a combi boiler?

Also whats your mains water dynamic flow rate as you will obviously have measured that whilst deliberating on your chosen system?

Tony

Denners, look at an unvented cylinder for use with solar panels.

You have solar to heat the water when sun is out, boiler to heat water when day is dull and electric supply when previous two are not up to it.

Look at photovoltaic panels too.

Let combi boiler be the last choice

Denners, look at an unvented cylinder for use with solar panels.

You have solar to heat the water when sun is out, boiler to heat water when day is dull and electric supply when previous two are not up to it.

Look at photovoltaic panels too.

Let combi boiler be the last choice

Thanks DP - I will look into that. To be honest, I'm not (yet) sold on solar - was just considering it as an option at this stage and looking for a contractor that could come and assess exactly what would be best for us. I've considered PV in the past but discounted it, I suppose I just don't trust the government not to completely abandon the feed-in tariff..... Could be persuaded otherwise though if I find someone interested in doing the work that is keen on them.

Obviously Dick Puller would be your first choice.

But he is surprisingly shy with his contact details!

For my interest ( amusement ) could you explain why you DONT want a combi boiler?

Also whats your mains water dynamic flow rate as you will obviously have measured that whilst deliberating on your chosen system?

Tony

Thanks Tony - I've had a search for Dick Puller (from a quick search of previous posts that doesn't appear to be his real name, which I found disappointing) but his profile is private. Any idea of how to get in touch with him (or send him my details if that is easier)?

Mains static flow rate is over 22 l/min, I haven't got a pressure gauge so can't measure dynamic flow rate but remember it being high from a previous reading (we're in a valley in a semi-rural area so supply is good). Not sure why you might find this amusing, but I don't want a combi boiler mostly because I want good pressure and temperature hot water (combined with relatively modest heating requirements), but also because the wife would give me ear ache about not having an airing cupboard to dry clothes in (I suppose the last part is amusing in a tragic way).

Cheers,

Matt

Sponsored Links
I think you will find that Agile was being - what shall we say? - ironic.

An adequately rated combi gives the same pressure as an unvented cylinder.

Wasting heat in an airing cupboard is a past extravagence which is not created by modern equipment.

You need to fit a small rad in the airing cupboard if you much have that effect.

Far more green to dry clothes outside though.

If everyone did that it would save about 2% on energy bills and improve the countries balance of payments as well as saving the planet.

Dick Puller SEEMS to be a proper installer but unfortunately does not act in a normal open way so he might be retired and no longer doing work but he was certainly gas registered not long ago and has the knowledge.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back