Options for new extension and loft conversion heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Let me first apologise for me making up new technical terms as i go along :D

Im in the middles of have a side extension build to my current 3 bedroom semi, which will house a new lounge and two new bedrooms (measuring 3.1m x 3.3m each) and the new lounge will be 7m x 4m).

We currently have a conventional boiler (Ideal Ikos) which was only replaced a couple years back and does the job perfectly. Our hot water cylinder is in the airing cupboard with a backup electric immersion heater.

This is where is get complicated. We may now also have the loft done at the same time giving us another bedroom and bathroom (giving us 2 bathrooms in total). We are now not sure what to do:

1) do we just leave the current system and install a small combi boiler just for the loft?

2) Do we change the whole system to a large combi and run everything from it?

Very confused, the builder for ease is recommending just a large combi to run everything.
I would be grateful for your view and input :)

Sponsored Links
3) Change current hw cylinder for an unvented one.

(As long as you have minimum 1.5 bar pressure and 20 L/Min flow on incoming cold water)

Thanks.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but to check the flow I just bucket marked in Litres and opened the cold kitchen tap and timed how much it fills in a minute?

I did this and i only get 13L per minute. Did i do it right?

Your technique is right.

Make sure all stop taps are fully open, as well as an isolation valve under the tap.

Try the outside tap if you have one.

Sponsored Links
Just checked all and still getting 13L / m.

Is there any systems that can work with that flow rate?

As your current cylinder appears to be a vented model ( yuck ) and your boiler is a piece of junk, you might as well rip the lot out and stick a big combi in.
Your mains flow seems rather limited, so an unvented cylinder would be a waste of money.
And make sure this time it is not an Ideal.

If its just a shower and basin in the bathroom then fit an electric shower and an electric (point of use) water heater.

I also need to heat the loft along with the rest of the house and new extension.

I think i may just opt for a small combi just to run the loft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back