Options for painting/treating dark hardwood banisters and handrail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved into a house recently that has a very dark hardwood staircase.

We are keen to lighten it up however possible - ideally it would be light oak but given the dark hardwood I guess it's not possible to "lighten" the wood and we are looking at painting?

Would welcome some expert opinion on our options.

1) Are we able to "lighten" the wood in any way or is it impossible?

2) If our only option is to paint it - what kind of prep is required to ensure a good finish?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Sponsored Links
I am assuming that the wood is mahogany and possibly oak (I am pants at identifying wood types). They also look like they have been oiled, if that is the case, then no, you can't make them lighter.

If you decide to paint them, give them a light rub down first to provide a "key". Apply oil based under coat followed by an oil based finish of a sheen level that you like. I strongly advise against using waterbased paints on any surface that is touched regularly. The oils in skin break down waterbased paints.

The screws will be an eye sore though. You can unscrew each in turn, counter sink then and then use 2 pack filler over each of them.

The main problem with painting over unpainted timber is that you then notice all of the imperfections, which will require filling and sanding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back