Options for securing a ladder to a house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some work I need to do to the exterior of my house that requires working up a ladder for an extended period. Are there any commercial products for securing a ladder that are worth buying?

The reason why I ask is because we recently had someone from Openreach come to the house and the person drilled something into the wall to secure their own ladder and it seemed like a sensible thing to do.

Sponsored Links
Decent ladder like a triple with no bounce.
Ladder stay can work great holding you off wall.
Stake the bottom or get someone to foot the ladder.
Other option is to hire a tower scaffold, especially if your up it for exstended period. Ladder is the wrong tool and only used for short periods.

I've not seen ladder fixings on houses probably because ladders are not used If safer alternative available..

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
You can get two piece eye bolts ( to allow removal when not in use) often used in commercial property to allow safer cleaning of windows.

What's your extended period? Any job that involves you standing on a ladder in one spot for more than 15 minutes is probably better done from a tower- easier and safer.

It's basically a few small jobs rather than one big job where I'll be up there for ages: resealing first floor windows (two of them), painting sills, painting foul pipe, putting up hooks for Xmas lights. Budget is limited so if I can get away with using a ladder I will. I can do some of the prep for the window jobs from inside the window as well.

Some permanent eye bolts on the upper level and a harness seem a good, cost effective option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back