Ladder security

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The guy who fitted our fibre internet line had to go up to the eaves on his ladder. He asked if it was OK to drill a hole in the wall at ground level. He then secured his ladder to a fitting in the hole before he went up. I offered my foot on the bottom rung instead but he said that wasn't allowed nowadays. Are these kits commercially available, as I often wobble a bit high up but Mrs Vicario's foot at the bottom has saved me so far! He filled the hole before he left and there's really no sign that he's ever been there. What would have happened if I'd said no to the hole?

Sponsored Links
He asked if it was OK to drill a hole in the wall at ground level. He then secured his ladder to a fitting in the hole before he went up.
Yes, that's standard practice.
What would have happened if I'd said no to the hole?
He would not have gone up!
...Or if he had and there was an incident, the HSE would have words!
Are these kits commercially available,
They are, but most are pro kits, containing everything needed to comply with the work at height regs - so they can be pricey!

For home use, some stainless eyebolt anchors and a ladder strap should (hopefully) suffice!

Last edited:
What would have happened if I'd said no to the hole?
He would have called a colleague with a cherry picker and the job would have taken four hours longer while you both wait for the colleague.

For home use, some stainless eyebolt anchors and a ladder strap should (hopefully) suffice!

An ordinary householder is least likely to be trained or experienced on ladders. What should he do?

Sponsored Links
An ordinary householder is least likely to be trained or experienced on ladders.
He definitely has experience with ladders..
, as I often wobble a bit high up but Mrs Vicario's foot at the bottom has saved me so far!
As for...
What should he do?
Follow the manufacturers usage instructions that should be marked on the ladder.
And the HSE working at height / safe use of ladders guidance:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back