orange lead on 2 port valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On the zone valve, there are 4 wires, brown, blue, orange and grey. Can someone confirm if the orange lead only becomes live when the brown wire becomes live (i.e. there is a relay inside the zone valve)?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
orange wire becomes live when the valve is opened and has made the microswitch.

Sponsored Links
What happens is this: When heat is called for by thermostat and/or programmer, mains voltage is applied across the blue (live) and brown (netural). This activates a motor which turns the valve. Shortly before the valve reaches fully-open position, it triggers a microswitch which connects grey (live) with orange. This is used to fire up boiler, activate pump etc, depending on configuration.

OK you pro's, you may scoff. But this perplexed me when I first investigated the subject. It's not easy for DIYers to find this information.

PaulAH said:
the blue (live) and brown (neutral)
Scoff! That's a serious mistake! It's the other way round.

Anyway the info is readily available on the Honeywell site, as has been mentioned hundreds of times on this forum. And if you think two port valves are complicated, have a look at the wiring for mid position 3 port valves.

chrishutt said:
PaulAH said:
the blue (live) and brown (neutral)
Scoff! That's a serious mistake! It's the other way round.

Actually, in this case it would work, but is a clear breech of BS7671 (IEE regs) convention and could be very dangerous to anyone subsequently. :rolleyes:

Yikes! You're right of course, Chris. Typed in haste. (Having said that, reversal wouldn't be a disaster as the microswitch is independent of the motor feed).

2 or 3 port, neither is that complicated once you understand the principle. It's the internal workings I was trying to explain to notdiyfromhell. With the greatest respect to PVM, "as long as the grey wire is connected to a permanent live" does not shed light on what's going on inside.

I'm sorry, PVM and Chris, but the Honeywell site is exactly what I mean about making life difficult for anyone who takes a serious interest in these things. Dumbed-down or what?

After grinding through "investor relations", "solutions", "home comfort", "indoor air quality" and all the hooray words of modern marketing, we eventually get to a promising link - Temperature Zoning. This takes us to "comfort, control and common sense", then on to

"Save on Energy Bills. Save up to 33% on energy bills and spend your money on more important things. Start Saving now!"

followed by more mindless garbage.

Found a section on thermostats. "If you want your home to feel as comfortable as it looks, then VisionPRO is the thermostat for you. You'll enjoy the convenience, energy savings and consistent comfort for years to come.

"Its intuitive logic and menu-driven programming respond to your choices and schedule for optimal comfort and energy savings. VisionPRO offers you top-of-the-line features like touchscreen interaction, a real-time clock..."

A REAL-TIME CLOCK? Oh for heaven's sake.

Motorized valves explained? Pray, where? In the section on fluffy towels?

OK guys, you win. But where did you find those? I Googled on "Honeywell valves" and "Honeywell motorised valves" and there was nothing like this on the first five pages at least. I certainly couldn't find a link on the honeywell.com website. Honeywell.co.uk brings up an estate agent in Clitheroe.

Although the information is there, as you have proved, it's a hard life for the curious amateur. QED

Guys, thanks for the info. I just wanted to be double sure as assumption has made a pig out of me before.

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back