Orange Staining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A plea from my wife. The grouting in our three showers keeps being stained an orange colour, obviously from the water. I have emptied the cold water tank and completely cleaned it out. Any ideas what could be the cause and is there anything we can do to cure the problem

Sponsored Links
is this on a shower enclosure, if so was the walls plyed, iv'e known the plywood to "bleed" through onto the grout lines, hope for your sake it isn't :cry:

When I saw this thread I thought exactly the same thing as Shorky. It is almost certainly because the tiles are letting water through and this is then coming back through bringing the wood stain with it.

Sounds like a regrout and ensure everything else is water tight :confused:

shorky said:
is this on a shower enclosure, if so was the walls plyed, iv'e known the plywood to "bleed" through onto the grout lines, hope for your sake it isn't :cry:

how can that be? i bet his shower head has the same orange stuff on it.....mine does.

surely its just some sort of mildew/bacteria.

spray the shower dwon often with that antibacterial shower spray cleaner and wash off. it keeps the worst at bay.

Sponsored Links
Around my area scale is so bad that this can look orange on the grout

gas4you said:
Around my area scale is so bad that this can look orange on the grout

we have no scale and still get it :confused:

No the tiles are stuck onto an aquapanel or solid walls (plastered) in all the showers (enclosures). The worst occurence is on the one that has a fixed shower head which tends to "drip-run" when turned off for a few seconds. Will suggest the shower spray to the wife. As we live in Severn Trent area with very soft water I am surprised that this happens. Anyway thanks for the replies any other suggestions will be appreciated.

nickso said:
shorky said:

how can that be? i bet his shower head has the same orange stuff on it.....mine does.

It surely is....and it`s in the commercial dishwashers @ dozens of restaurants too :mad: :eek: :LOL: :LOL:

Nige F said:
nickso said:
shorky said:

It surely is....and it`s in the commercial dishwashers @ dozens of restaurants too :mad: :eek: :LOL: :LOL:

along with rodent droppings and general muck all across the kitchen.

you takes your chances :LOL:

dolph said:
A plea from my wife. The grouting in our three showers keeps being stained an orange colour, obviously from the water. I have emptied the cold water tank and completely cleaned it out. Any ideas what could be the cause and is there anything we can do to cure the problem

Tell her to stop using the false tan cream ;)

Iron content in the water ?
Could be there anyway or if you have a steel header tank then the galv has failed.
Very often no solution.
What I do is make up a Bleach/Water mix of say 10:1 and use an old kitchen spray bottle (window cleaner etc) to spray the tiles weekly.
Watch you don't spray your face though !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back