Order of bathroom work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

About to start a bathroom refit and just have a few questions regarding the order of the work. As a lot of the plaster underneath the tiles is blown and in poor condition, I plan on removing all of it and putting up plaster board. The tiling will only go half way on all walls but one. I have also ordered a unit which will go across the entire one wall.

My problem is that this unit is 1800mm and my bathroom is 1800 now with thin tiles on it. To avoid making this width smaller, would you normally skim all of the walls and then tile over this, or tile and then skim above the tiles? I imagine it would be the first.

Any advise on how to do this would be great. I would imagine that if using bathroom plaster board you wouldn't necessarily have to skim under the tiles.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What is on the walls behind the tiles at the moment, is it a block wall or plasterboard?

What I usually do if plastering is not required over the whole wall is to meaure out and mark on the wall where the tiles will come to and then plaster the rest of the wall and just overlap into the tiled area an inch or two (feather it out a little if you are that tight for space) and then the last tile around the edge will leave a good finish with the plaster that can just be grouted to finish it.

Saves getting any plaster on tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back