Should I use plasterBoard In A Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently doing the Bathroom up. It was tiled top to Bottom and they are all of now.

Three wall's are solid, one Brick (old outside wall), the other two are Breeze, and the last is studded wall. Not much of the plaster has come off but there is tile Adhesive all over.

Should I have it just skimmed all over as it is, or would it be best to put Plaster Board up and then a finishing skim.
I am going to mainly Paint the wall's and just Tile inside the Shower and a few row's above the bath.
Also what do people put on the window sill's in the bathroom nowadays to finish it off, Tiles or some sort of plastic sill?

Thanks

Graham

Sponsored Links
a lot of people say that it's best to avoid plasterboard in a room with high humidity such as the bathroom - instead aquapanel (Wickes brand) or some other cement board is recommended. This board is moisture (and water) resistant, unlike plasterboard which quickly falls apart if wet.

I've used cement board in my bathroom/shower room - easy to work with but about 3 times the cost of plasterboard - but cheaper than replacing later. Make sure to get the correct fixings - ceramic coated screws - to fix to the studs (again, Wickes stock these).

Thanks for the reply.

I will take a look at this Aquapannel you mentioned.

Graham

Sponsored Links
Should be about £14-£15 for a 1.4 x 1m board or so. Ceramic screws work out at about 6p each (just stud in the same way as normal plasterboard, about 400mm separation).

As you probabby gathered, I got mine from Wickes - if you go to their website they have one of their "how to"/"good idea" leaflets that you can download - search for Aquapanel- should tell you a bit more about it.

My tip: don't use a craft knife to cut it and then break it - although it works it tends to crumble along the line and your knife will be blunt immediately - you're cutting cement after all! Use a cheap old hand saw - it'll ruin it but you'll get through it quicker and more neatly.

Pretty easy stuff to work with though.

Panmure
OH DEAR !!!!

I could of directed you to a MASSIVIVE /huge better idea /deal ,

anyway dont aquapanel all bathroom only werewater will splash ...
BTW

My tip: don't use a craft knife to cut it and then break it - although it works it tends to crumble along the line and your knife will be blunt immediately - you're cutting cement after all! Use a cheap old hand saw - it'll ruin it but you'll get through it quicker and more neatly.

Pretty easy stuff to work with though ..a stanley score break , 2 blades to 12metres , stanley , not an advert but Fantastic ...
job would of been done proper ,

Panmure

PLEASE DONT GIVE ADVICE ..EVER ! :)

Hi matey, plasterboard is O.K JUST GET THE RIGHT ONE. Lafarge or British make a bathroom plasterboard specifically for the purpose. Check out thier web sites.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back