Plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the middle of redoing my bathroom, I have taken the tiles off the walls and it has left a lot of tile adhesive behind, have tried chipping it off but it is like stone. I have decided to skim the walls with finishing plaster.

There is a lot of boxing in around the soil stack, I am concerned that if I skim it all, the movement where the boxing meets the wall will cause some ugly cracking!

Is there something I can use to reduce the chances of craking or movement between the two (some sort of special beading perhaps?) or am I worrying about something that will not happen anyway?

I dont really want to put up plaster board all the way round and then plastering that as my bathroom is very small already!

Sponsored Links
Have you tried a steamer on it? Should soften it up enough to remove with a scraper.

Symo

Excellent, thank you for that!

I will definitley give it a try tonight! It Should cut down on the amount of plastering I have to do!!!!!

With regard to the boxing in (think it is plyboard), could I just seal it with PVA and skim that up to the existing walls, so it stands out a little less? I want to paint the walls. Or will the movement produce cracks?

Just make sure the boxing is screwed up nice and tight. You can bond it and skim it as long as it's decent WBP ply. If you don't know what the boxing is made of then just screw a layer of board over it and skim that.

Symo

Sponsored Links
Thanks, you have been a great help!

And tried the steamer on the tile adhesive and it worked a treat!!

Happy to help. Nice to pass on some of the many, valuable, lessons these forums have given me.

Symo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back