Ordering windows yourself the DIY route

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I need to replace about 10 windows, now my builder is happy to fit the windows for me. I am reading that when it comes to selling the house, it would pose a problem since my builder is not Fensa registered.

Last time I checked, I figured that I could save myself about £3,000 if I ordered the windows myself and got my builder to install, any gotchas with this route ?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Yes, builders are generally rubbish at fitting windows, there's been many a thread on here over the years with horror stories.

Not being Fensa isn't the end of the world as you can get your LABC to inspect and sign the window installation off, it won't be a Fensa certificate but it will be a valid cert, check with your local planning office how much this costs, every council charges differently, some charge £xxx for 8 windows, and it'll be the same again for the other two not pro rata

You could also ignore the Fensa cert completely till you sell the house and then buy indemnity insurance from your solicitor for about £100 which covers the lack of a certificate

Last edited:
If you're going to get the builder to do it, find out if he's done any before, and ask to see them. That'll give you an idea of the quality of his work. Fitting windows is pretty straightforward, and it's more a case of being carefull to measure the windows so that they're not too tight, then can be opened properly once fitted and don't catch anywhere. Are the lintels straight or curved, and can he fit the architraves properly and neatly afterwards.

I think what Cranks suggesting (which you may well have picked up on), is check building controls prices, and ignore them if they're charging too much, but as all they do is come round, look at them, and then put a small gizmo on each window to check if the reflective surface is on the inside of the windows, then they shouldn't be charging too much. And whilst cheap is good, saving the hassle of the solicitors, and getting the indemnity insurance, might be worth BC charges.

Sponsored Links
When you say 'my builder' do you already have a builder on site doing other works? Is it possible for the building inspectors remit be extended to cover these replacement windows, which may cost very little compared to a new application?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back