Orion Boiler - Cracked sight Glass and Case seal leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

I need some clarification on the following: I had a routine Gas Safety Inspection on my home last week and was told my boiler had to be turned off because:

A) Case Seal leaking

B) Cracked Sight Glass

I then had a visit from a Gas Engineers company and been told:

I also was told a new boiler cannot go into the property as it is 'technically impossible', now I'm not quite sure what this really means.

I would like to know:

A) If the Case seal can be fixed
B) If a new Sight Glass can be replaced

and lastly why a new boiler cannot be put into the property.

The boiler is in a flat small block with around 30 other flats of the same shape size and layout.

Appreciated if you can advise this lady of possible solutions please, I have Gas Safety cover with a well known company. I just want to make sure I've been informed of the correct procedure and advise.

Thank you in advance.

Fantagirl

Sponsored Links
As far as I can see the case seal is still available (there are many Orions) and you don't say exact model. The sight glass you may have a problem as it is shown as obsolete.

The sight glass seems to be nothing special.

I have replaced them with ordinary glass with no problems in the past.

We have no idea why they say a new boiler cannot be fitted. Did you not ask them at the time they were there?

Why on earth do you only trust BG ? Why not ask a local independent who will be much more helpful ?

Tony

Sponsored Links
There is apparently still a Vokera which is approved for fitting into SE ducts!

I have reluctantly repaired an old Apollo boiler which ideally should have been replaced. But there is no other option because of the glass outer walls of the flat apart from another SE duct boiler.

One wonders how much longer a suitable boiler will be available for. I would doubt the number replaced each year would be much more than 200 or 300.

Tony

""I have Gas Safety cover with a well known company."" usually means its British Gas!

As far as I can see the case seal is still available (there are many Orions) and you don't say exact model. The sight glass you may have a problem as it is shown as obsolete.

Thank you for the reply. On the CP12 report the model is not there and I can only see Orion Myson on the case. Thank you again. Appreciated

The sight glass seems to be nothing special.

I have replaced them with ordinary glass with no problems in the past.

We have no idea why they say a new boiler cannot be fitted. Did you not ask them at the time they were there?

Why on earth do you only trust BG ? Why not ask a local independent who will be much more helpful ?

Tony

Yes, it was who you mentioned. I have asked a local independent to go in but he said he couldnt do any thing as BG have made the report and that is final. Sighhhhh!!! I'm not sure now what to do next! Thank you in advance. Kate

BG is only one ( rather large ) gas servicing company.

As such they have no ability to make any "final" reports.

Many of us regularly complete repairs when BG have declared something as "At Risk" or "no spares available".

It could be that your Independent lacks the confidence or knowledge to take any action to repair the boiler.

Or alternatively ( and often the case ) he sees an opportunity to do a far bigger job of fitting a new boiler.

Knowing what I do, in your position I would call an independent and make it clear that you are asking if he can repair the boiler but there will be no chance of asking him to fit a new boiler.

Tony

If the sight glass is obsolete then its doomed from BG's point of view. BG will only fit approved manufacturers spares and not lash together a heath robinson sight glass from god knows where which has neither been tested or approved for use.

As for the new boiler, nothings impossible, just sometimes a little imagination is required. Whats more likely is that with BG's limited boiler options, they can not fit an appliance in the flat.

What I need is a solution to either fix the boiler with a new Sight Glass or

I 'm willing to buy the same boiler be it a scrapped one and to take the Sight Glass out and put it onto the other boiler. Now can this work? I really cant afford a new boiler. I'm unemployed right now.

I would be happy if one of you skilled tradesman would even be willing to take on this job as it would save me a lot of money. That I dont have. Oh also the reason why they said a new boiler couldnt be installed was because the Alarm Box would be in the way for a new one. However this can be removed. Just to add, I do think a new boiler is not warranted at this time as I think the Sight Glass is a repair that could be fixed. Please advise and thank you again in advance. Here are my contact details if you can help [email protected]
T H A N K Y O U

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back