What exactly is a sealed boiler case

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
DISCLAMER

I am not suggesting opening the casing is acceptable but I am looking for the logic behind the regulation,

"" Opening the case on that boiler forms part of the combustion circuit and needs to be checked for safe operation afterwards ""

Comments similar to this are posted many times on DIYnot,

A similar statement made by a gas engineer about a boiler where the underside of the boiler is not sealed airtight. An electrician needed access to the terminals inside the "sealed" casing to replace cables. He was told to leave the boiler switched OFF ( fuse in FCU removed ) until the gas engineer could visit to check the combustion was correct.

Surely in appliances with a sealed combustion circuit opening the casing will not significantly affect the combustion circuit.

sealed plenum.jpg

Sponsored Links
So what if the case was not fitted correctly and a combustion seal etc was faulty ? Surely the products could leak into the room .

Would a spark know if the seal was damaged and likely to leak.

I am thinking about appliances where there are gaps / holes in the base of the boiler so even when the panels of the casing are correctly fitted the casing is far from being air tight.

Sponsored Links
I am thinking about appliances where there are gaps / holes in the base of the boiler so even when the panels of the casing are correctly fitted the casing is far from being air tight.
Then it is not part of the combustion chamber.

In which case would it be necessary to not use the appliance until a GasSafe technician had measured the products of combustion ?
You said that you were "looking for the logic", you have been given the logic.

Not sure where you are now taking this so, Im out.

Not all boilers are room sealed by the outer casing that you refer to , some will operate safely if the outer casing is not sealed properly, but not all

Exactly in most cases the outer casing is just a plenum chamber but as Ian points out there are still some positive pressure cased boilers around that could be really dangerous if the outer case is corroded or altered.

To be fair it's yet another grey area where regs aren't properly explained...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back