Need Ideal Mexico Boiler sight glass assembly 079334

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
British gas engineer has condemned and turned off my boiler - as sight glass not got seals - was cemented on by previous BG engineers for many years. Any idea where I can get a new one please - Ideal Mexico Super 3 cf 80 sight glass assembly 079334. if I can get one I will get a gas safe fitter to sort boiler out if that is okay. I know I need a new boiler - want another Ideal Mexico HE 30 but not till after Christmas. Will go private - gone off British Gas Annual Service. Been with them 20 years or so and been told they do not supply Ideal boilers.

Sponsored Links
British gas engineer has condemned and turned off my boiler - as sight glass not got seals - was cemented on by previous BG engineers for many years. Any idea where I can get a new one please - Ideal Mexico Super 3 cf 80 sight glass assembly 079334. if I can get one I will get a gas safe fitter to sort boiler out if that is okay. I know I need a new boiler - want another Ideal Mexico HE 30 but not till after Christmas. Will go private - gone off British Gas Annual Service. Been with them 20 years or so and been told they do not supply Ideal boilers.
BG always do shìt like that..Scare the bejeebas out of you to get a boiler sale..Cover the sight glass with a piece of metal.The boiler you have will last another 30 years easy.

Sponsored Links
I know I need a new boiler

As @Ihavenojob said.

(The following is my own non - professional experience, and so I would welcome the knowledgeable peeps on here to correct anything I say that is misleading, or downright incorrect).

What you need is good advice, and a competent (heating engineer?)

We have a (at least) 20 Yr - old potterton performa boiler.
In the 15+ years we've lived here, we've had it serviced about three times, a new pcb, a new heat exchanger and, recently, a new pump.
That's it. Less than a grand I'd reckon.

I don't imagine it is extortionate to run either as, for a large and old three bed detached, with four of us living here, gas and electric combined is less than £140 per month, and I'm sitting here in shorts and a tee shirt.

My two penneth anyway.

I've found a good local gas engineer. I am going to have a new boiler because so many spares for our old one are obsolete - I've had a good look on the web. The new one should see us out with a bit of luck.

I've found a good local gas engineer. I am going to have a new boiler because so many spares for our old one are obsolete - I've had a good look on the web. The new one should see us out with a bit of luck.
The boiler you have has few parts that might need changing, thermocouple may be needed every couple of years, the gas valve may pop its clogs, both very common parts readily available. Modern boilers are very finicky, need greater attention when servicing, spares are a horrendous price, as for the out seeing you, I know which boiler I would put my money on, but at the end of the day, the decision is yours.

I as a heating engineer would suggest a proper service on the mexico, a CO alarm, better controls to ‘economise’ on fuel and if not already fitted make it a fully independent heating and hot water installation. Save the only you plan to splash on new boiler.

Chances are what you a proposing may not last third of the years the present is good and strong at

Open flue boilers...they were obsolete 40 years ago. Hopeless efficiency. The amount of gas wasted could've bought a couple of new boilers and servicing/repairs.

Open flue boilers...they were obsolete 40 years ago. Hopeless efficiency. The amount of gas wasted could've bought a couple of new boilers and servicing/repairs.
It's debatable inefficient yes, however no modern boiler will be as reliable, money is saved in service calls and repairs consisting in labour and parts cost.

If a real analysis of the carbon footprint was done including the fuel used in vans by engineers in service calls and parts production I wonder if it's a lot closer than might be expected.And if the flue runs inside the property you do get a warming effect ftom it !

It's debatable inefficient yes, however no modern boiler will be as reliable, money is saved in service calls and repairs consisting in labour and parts cost.

If a real analysis of the carbon footprint was done including the fuel used in vans by engineers in service calls and parts production I wonder if it's a lot closer than might be expected.And if the flue runs inside the property you do get a warming effect ftom it !

Mind you I might be a bit biased I've got a 80 year old cooker on my books that I maintain.

We're talking an 80,000 Btu open flue, I'd agree with you on Band D at 80% efficiencies but not when you're sub 60% efficiencies..

Sponsored Links
Back