OS-based location/site maps are wrong...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm starting to prepare my own planning application for an extension. The location and site plans offered for sale by those various services, based (as I understand it) on OS maps, all show quite incorrect boundaries for my property and 7 adjacent ones. They don't show a park behind us and present our garden boundaries extending much too far back into this space instead. The park has been there for at least 20 years, I am aware.

Will I have to edit them myself (copying from aerial photos rather than surveying the park etc. myself!) or is there some other approach, to get accurate plans?

Will I run into copyright-type problems trying to submit my own blatantly traced/copied location plans? I don't mind terribly having to redraw things, I'll be doing a lot of that as it is for the other parts of the plans.

Sponsored Links
have a look at openstreetmap.org and see if it's any more accurate. In some places they are excellent, others less so.

have a look on the land registry, for the location plan, you can survey and draw your own site plan.
I have always used the land registry for location plans and never had anyone question them, you may have to add a few details such as road names etc if the planners want them.

I had the same problem, Email OS places and ask them to re do the drawings for your area, chances are the development has changed since the last time they had a look.

In my case, i put the application through with the old drawings, didn't mention the changes. Council didn't give a monkeys, but then there were minor changes rather then the scale you describe (missing out-houses, extension on wrong property etc ). OS emailed back saying they had taken a new survey and will be updating in the next map updates...

May be long winded but may as well get the ball started which ever way you go about with your application.

Sponsored Links
The OS plans are indicative only when used for planning. Unless you are moving site borders, then just use the maps as they are.

However, your site plan must be accurate to show the proposed work in context of the site

indeed and at the scale required by the planners won't really show much, they just want to know if there is anything in the vicinity which may affect your application.
If they require further detail they will ask.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back