Site location plan when OS map is seriously wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want a site location plan and a block plan to go with a planning application. All the advice seems to be to buy kosher plans from one of the OS agencies. It's £10 - £20 a pop, but small beer compared to the actual building work if all goes well. So I register with a few of them and take a butchers at the plans for my house ... and all of them they are seriously wrong.

Apparently I own half (yes half) of a neighbour's garden, and a different neighbour owns a decent chunk of my garden. I've got all the deeds to the house, and the land registry documents are spot on. So it looks like OS have screwed up.

What do I do? I'm not happy paying £20 for a plan only to have to muck around with it. And if they got my boundaries so wrong, what about the rest of the street? It makes a mockery of the whole thing.

I should mention that I'm out in the sticks and none of the houses are on nice rectangular plots. In fact there aren't that many houses at all in a 4 hectare plan.

I'm tempted to scan the land registry plan and trace over it in my CAD package. I can easily scale it to 1:1250 using the known measurements of my boundaries. Do you think I'd get away with that?

Cheers,
Nomis

Sponsored Links
I'm tempted to scan the land registry plan and trace over it in my CAD package. I can easily scale it to 1:1250 using the known measurements of my boundaries. Do you think I'd get away with that?

Cheers,
Nomis
Crack on. For half my applications I just do a simple trace over the google map and rescale it.

Its easy to trace over one, but if the plan has anything more than a couple of houses one has to question the time it takes vs the £15. If your times free though ....

Sponsored Links
There is another way when you are in urban or suburban areas.
Some people look up in the councils planning register for recent planning applications on their street. They then pull up the location plan and print it off. The cunning devils then tipex out the thickened
boundary line on the copy, and draw the red line over their application site and 're-cycle' the 1:1250.
Fancy defrauding OS in that way - isn't that dreadful! It makes my blood boil to think there are such terrible people among us.

First, people building 6ft fences along footpaths, then building a few inches over a boundary, and now this to cap it off.
What is the world coming to???

It would add insult to injury if one were to add a cribbed OS licence No. to the bottom of the plan, just to make it look really authentic.

Actually, you don't need to do that. What I do when I copy them is .......................OOOOPs!!!!!!!!!.

I've found there isn't a lot of difference between council interactive maps and OS Maps. Even still, whichever method you choose, it's the applicants responsibility to check/sign that the documents and drawings are correct.

Apparently I own half (yes half) of a neighbour's garden, and a different neighbour owns a decent chunk of my garden. I've got all the deeds to the house, and the land registry documents are spot on. So it looks like OS have screwed up.

The last time I looked at an OS map, I couldn't see any red or blue lines/boundaries, so I'm not sure why you said OS have screwed up? Do you mean OS show lines splitting off your land whereas you have documentation showing you own it? If so, then just indicate red/blue lines where necessary.

Paying for an OS map via places like Promap means you have the licence for a certain period. From there, the map can be downloaded and amended in AutoCAD. That would be much easier (and cheaper) than you paying the council to sort it. Especially as they may request to see title documents before amending any boundaries.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back